ECU Logo
A Division of Business Services
ECU 1 Card

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I add additional funds to the dining account on the ECU 1 Card?

To add additional funds to the dining account, all students, faculty, and staff members must visit or call the Dining office which is located on College Hill in Jones Residence Hall. The phone number is (252) 328-3663.

Is the ECU 1 Card office the same office that manages the Higher One debit card?

No. The Higher One card is the ECU debit card in which your financial aid is dispersed to and is unrelated to the ECU 1 Card office. They do not have an office on campus; however many questions about the card may be answered by the Cashier’s Office. Otherwise, you may visit the Higher One card website at

If I have lost my Higher One card, how can I get a replacement?

For detailed instructions on obtaining a replacement card, please visit the Higher One card website at

What is a temporary card and how long does it last?

A temporary card lasts for seven days and serves the purpose of acting as a regular ECU 1 Card. You may choose this option if you feel that you may find your original card or if you are not able to replace the card at this time.

Can I get an ECU 1 Card if I am only taking online classes?

Students taking only online classes are eligible to receive an ECU 1 Card. This is the same card as the one issued to students taking campus classes however it will have less privileges associated with the card. In order to obtain the ECU 1 Card, the student would come in to the 1 Card Office with a valid state issued photo id and $10 for the first card fee.

Can I have the fee for a replacement card charged to my account rather than paying in person?

Unfortunately, we are unable to charge any fees related to the ECU 1 Card directly to your main ECU account. However, we accept cash, check, Gold Key or debit cards.

Do I get one free replacement card during my tenure at ECU?

All students and staff members are allowed one free damage replacement during their time at ECU; however, this may only be used if the patron has had their 1 Card for at least one year and brings this card into our office and it is damaged. If you have lost your card, you will be ineligible for the damage replacement.  In addition, if you have not had your card for longer than a year, you will be ineligible to use the damaged replacement.

Can I punch holes in my ECU 1 Card in order to put it on my keychain?

No. We ask that you do not punch any holes in your card because the inside of the card contains a chip which allows you access into buildings. If this chip is damaged due to a hole being punched in it, you will have to pay for a replacement card, regardless of how long you have had it.

What do I do if I think I have lost my 1 Card?

If you realize that you have lost your 1 Card during our office hours, you can call our main office at 328-2673 to report it lost. This will deactivate the card so that nobody can use it if they find it. If you realize your 1 Card is lost any other time that is not during our regular office hours, you may call the ECU Police at 328-6787 to report your card lost.

If I got a temporary card and then found the original card, why isn’t the original working anymore?

When you come into our office to have a temporary card made, we deactivate that original card because you may only have one active card at a time. In order to get your original card working again, we will be happy to reactivate it. This must be done in our office and will not cost anything.