APPLYING AS A FRESHMAN
To get started, review the admission guidelines, application requirements and deadline dates below. It is never too early to begin preparing your application and high school students are encouraged to apply early in their senior year.
Freshman Core Requirements
To be considered for admission as a freshman, you must have completed the following courses upon high school graduation:
- English: 4 course units in English, emphasizing grammar, composition and literature.
- Mathematics: 4 course units including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and a higher level mathematics course for which Algebra II is a prerequisite.
Note: The fourth math course unit is applicable only to students who graduated in 2006 or later.
- Natural Science: 3 course units including a life or biological science, a physical science and a laboratory science.
- Social Studies: 2 course units, one of which must be U.S. History.
- Foreign Language: 2 course units of a language other than English. Both must be in the same language (i.e. Spanish 1 & 2). ECU accepts both American Sign Language and Latin.
Note: The foreign language component is applicable only to students who graduated high school in 2004 or later.
During your senior year we strongly recommend that you take a foreign language, mathematics, and a natural science course in addition to English. These courses will better prepare you for your freshman year curriculum.
If you did not meet all of the minimum course requirements as indicated above please view the Transfer Admission Guidelines to see how to gain admission to ECU.
A Complete Application For Freshman Admission Includes
- A completed online application
- Nonrefundable $70 application fee
- Official high school transcript including senior year courses in progress and current grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended including community college dual enrollment.
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores (Please make sure that all test scores are sent directly from ACT or College Board)
ACT Code - 3094
SAT Code - 5180
Official documents should be sent to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Deadline: Freshman Applications For Admission
Spring Semester: To be considered for Spring 2016, your application must be submitted by Friday, November 13, 2015.
Fall Semester: To be considered for Fall 2016, your application must be submitted by March 15, 2016. All official final transcripts and official test scores must be received by March 15, 2016 to be considered for Fall 2016.
Deadline: Online Enrollment Deposit (for admitted students only)
Fall Semester: May 1, 2016
*The official deadline for payment of your ECU Enrollment Deposit is May 1. It is strongly advised to pay your deposit online as soon as possible to reserve your space in the incoming class. Visit the Admitted Student Checklist for Freshmen for instructions on paying your deposit.
Get Started! Click here to sign up or log in
Important Notice to Residents Outside of North Carolina
Due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, ECU will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Massachusetts, Minnesota and Maryland. We are also unable to offer distance education online programs or courses to students residing in Ohio, except for those taking courses to pursue ECU’s Nursing – MSN – Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Program, and in Alabama, except for students taking courses to pursue ECU’s MBA and MS – Security Studies Programs. For the most current list of states, visit this link http://eai.ecu.edu/states. ECU continues to work with state authorities to allow students in these states who are currently enrolled in an ECU online or certificate program to complete their degree.
Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the state listed.
Because authorization is an evolving area, please check this site again for the latest statement from ECU.
For questions or concerns specific to the state authorization process, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.