APPLYING AS A FRESHMAN
To get started, review the admission guidelines, application requirements, and deadline dates below. It is never too early to begin preparing your application and high school students are encouraged to apply early in their senior year.
Freshman Core Requirements
To be considered for admission as a freshman, you must have completed the following courses upon high school graduation:
- English: 4 course units in English, emphasizing grammar, composition and literature.
- Mathematics: 4 course units including Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and a higher level mathematics course for which Algebra II is a prerequisite.
Note: The fourth math course unit is applicable only to students who graduated in 2006 or later.
- Natural Science: 3 course units including a life or biological science, a physical science, and a laboratory science.
- Social Studies: 2 course units, one of which must be U.S. History.
- Foreign Language: 2 course units of a language other than English. Both must be in the same language (i.e. Spanish 1 & 2). ECU accepts both American Sign Language and Latin.
Note: The foreign language component is applicable only to students who graduated high school in 2004 or later.
During your senior year, we strongly recommend that you take a foreign language, mathematics, and a natural science course in addition to English. These courses will better prepare you for your freshman year curriculum.
If you did not meet all of the minimum course requirements as indicated above, please view the Transfer Admission Guidelines to see how to gain admission to ECU.
For information on the new SAT, click here.
A Complete Application For Freshman Admission Includes:
- A completed online application
- Nonrefundable $70 application fee
- Official high school transcript including senior year courses in progress and current grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended including community college dual enrollment
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores (please make sure that all test scores are sent directly from ACT or College Board)
ACT Code - 3094
SAT Code - 5180
Official documents should be sent to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Get Started! Click here to sign up or log in
Deadline: Freshman Applications For Admission
Fall Semester: To be considered for Fall 2017, your application must be submitted by March 1, 2017. All official transcripts and official test scores must be received by March 8, 2017 to be considered for Fall 2017.
Deadline: Online Enrollment Deposit (Admitted Students Only)
Fall Semester: May 1, 2017
*The official deadline for payment of your ECU Enrollment Deposit is May 1, 2017. It is strongly advised to pay your deposit online as soon as possible to reserve your space in the incoming class. Visit the Admitted Student Checklist for Freshmen for instructions on paying your deposit.
Important Notice to Residents Outside of North Carolina
All ECU academic programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in North Carolina. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, ECU is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of North Carolina. ECU cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of North Carolina. Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside North Carolina.