General Education FAQ
English Comp (GE:EN)
Student should provide a course description and/or syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if it is equivalent to ENGL 1100 or ENGL 2201.
If granted credit for ENGL 1100 or ENGL 2201, it will count as WI credit.
If a student transfers in ENGL 2201, but not ENGL 1100, he/she is NOT required to take ENGL 1100. However, the student is still required to complete 12 sh of Writing Intensive coursework for graduation (3 sh must be in the major). Therefore, in lieu of earning 3 sh in ENGL 1100, a student can fulfill this requirement in any subject area as long as it is designated WI.
- Any MATH elective will count as FC:MA
Natural Sciences (GE:SC)
- Any GEOL, PHYS, CHEM, BIOL elective will count towards FC:SC.
- GEOG ELECTIVE– Must be similar to GEOG 1300 (Weather and Climate). Student should provide course description and/or syllabus.
- AP Environmental Science will count as FC:SC
Social Sciences (GE:SO)
- Any PSYC, SOCI, HIST, POLS, ECON elective will count towards FC:SO.
- COMM ELECTIVE– Must be similar to COMM 1001 (Intro to Comm.). Student should provide course description and/or syllabus.
- ANTH ELECTIVE – Most may count as FC:SO unless it is similar to ANTH 2015/2016 (Biological Anthropology).
- GEOG ELECTIVE– Most may count as FC:SO unless it is similar to GEOG 1300 (Weather and Climate).
Fine Arts/Humanities (GE:FA / GE:HU)
- Any ART, DNCE, MUSC, THEA elective will count towards FC:FA.
- COMM ELECTIVE – Must be a public speaking or interpersonal communication to count as FC:FA.
- Any PHIL, RELI, or CLAS elective will count towards FC:HU.
- ENGL and FORL ELECTIVE – Must be a literature course to count towards FC:HU.
Health/Kinesiology (GE:HL / GE:EX)
- HLTH ELECTIVE FC:HL – Must cover personal and community health to count as FC:HL. (First aid does not count.)
- KINE ELECTIVE – Must be a physical activity to count towards FC:EX.
Military - The student must provide proper documentation to receive credit for HLTH 1000 and/or KINE 1000. Proper documentation would consist of a DD-214 form, AARTS transcript, or a SMART transcript. Please submit to email@example.com
If seeking FC credit for a course transferred as ZELE or another subject that can possibly fall under an FC area (WOST, RCLS, etc), e-mail the course title, course description and/or syllabus, year taken, and what college/university to CAS@ecu.edu. Please be specific in the FC credit being sought and include the students banner ID.
Re-Evaluation of a Transfer Course
Student seeking credit for a specific ECU course (example – MATH 1065) must provide a course description and/or syllabus.
1000/2000 level courses
E-mail the course title, course description and/or syllabus, year taken, and what college/university to CAS@ecu.edu. Please be specific in the credit being sought and include the student’s banner ID.
3000 and above
Complete a Request for Re-Evaluation of Course Which Transferred “By Title” and submit to the appropriate department chair. Form can be found at http://www.ecu.edu/registrar/
Departments may choose to substitute any transfer elective for a major course requirement. Departments may also waive specific FC required for their major (example – student has a job in public speaking, department can choose to waive COMM 2410 from their majors required FC courses). Students still must complete 40 hours of FC.
Writing Intensive Credit (WI)
For students seeking WI credit for a transfer course, the student should contact Dr. Will Banks, Interim Director of the University Writing Program (firstname.lastname@example.org). Dr. Banks will need a syllabus of the course being evaluated.
Note: If a student transfers in a course other than ENGL 1100/1200 (ENGL 3880, POLS 2010, and other academic subject areas) that is normally WI at ECU, it does NOT mean it will count as WI.