Grants and Contract Administration

Effective Date: 07/01/95

Policy Statement 19: Equipment Management

Account For Equipment

The University Property Office is responsible for establishing and maintaining accountability for equipment acquired under all grants and contracts. Please refer to the Property Office Manual for detailed information on Fixed Assets.

Transfer Of Government Or Sponsor Property

Equipment owned by the federal government or other sponsors is subject to transfer to another institution where approved and directed by the sponsor agency. A request for transfer of such property will normally originate with a researcher transferring to another institution and requiring such property in the pursuit of continuing research or with the sponsor agency itself.

A transfer originated by a faculty member requires the approval of the appropriate department head, dean, director of the Office of Sponsored Programs and the sponsor agency. Agency-originated disposition or transfer instructions do not require such approval. However, if agency-directed transfers are likely to impair continuing research or training projects at the university, such considerations should be promptly brought to the attention of the agency through the Office of Sponsored Programs in an attempt to dissuade the agency from making said transfer.

The Office of Sponsored Programs, along with the Property Office, assists with the arrangements and approvals necessary to transfer equipment. Actual shipments are not to be effected until agency approval and shipping instructions are received. Arrangements for shipment are made through the Property Office.