Effective Date: 05/13/02
Introduction Statement 1: Posting, Sales, and Solicitation
This policy is adopted to formalize the University's procedures for posting notices, announcements, materials, etc. throughout the Campus and selling and soliciting articles on Campus.
Recognizing that its support derives in large part from public funds, East Carolina University is committed to making its facilities as readily available for posting notices, announcements, materials, etc. by all groups and individuals as is consistent with its educational mission; its duties as a custodian of state resources; and its responsibility to consider the welfare of its students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Practical as well as legal considerations dictate the formulation and publication of a written policy detailing the conditions of such availability. The intent of the document that follows is not to place unreasonable restrictions on posting but rather to provide for procedures on a basis that is both clearly defined and in the best interest of each of the constituencies to whom East Carolina University is obligated by law and tradition.
- University refers to East Carolina University.
- University departments are recognized units of East Carolina University.
- Division of the University is a group of University departments organized around a particular function such as Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Health Sciences, and Student Life.
- University affiliated organizations include all official University committees, special committees, groups, and task forces supported directly by the University, one of its affiliated Foundations, and the East Carolina University Alumni Association.
- Student clubs and organizations are organizations comprised of East Carolina University students and registered with the Office of Student Leadership Development Programs.
- Individuals include an individual, individuals, or a group of individuals that may be a member of the University faculty, staff, student body, or alumni, University affiliated organizations, or student clubs and organizations. Individuals (while they may be faculty, staff, etc.), for the purposes of this policy, are involved in an activity or operation outside the normal scope of the individual's position or responsibility within the University.
- Non-University affiliated organizations include all groups or organizations that are not directly supported by the University or that are not registered student organizations, even though some of the members or participants may be University personnel or students.
- Co-sponsored non-University affiliated organizations are non-University affiliated organizations that are educational, community, or charitable organizations sponsoring an educational, governmental, or charitable program co-sponsored by an University department, division of the University, or University affiliated organization with a logical relationship to the sponsored program.
- Bulletin board is a board on which printed materials are intended to be posted.
- Printed materials include, but are not limited to, advertisements, announcements, art, declarations, flyers, handbills, materials, messages, statements, notices, pictures, posters, pronouncements, proclamations, publications, revelations, etc.
- Official Campus publications are official University publications through the University's News Bureau, University Publications, etc.
- University publications include, but are not limited to, any printed material produced almost entirely by faculty, staff, enrolled students, and intended almost exclusively for the University community for University-related business.
- Official bulletin board is a bulletin board for posting official announcements of the University and required posted materials (i.e. FLSA Wage and Hour Policies, EEO Policies, ECU Substance Abuse Policy, etc.). An official bulletin board should be clearly distinguishable from a departmental bulletin board and a general use bulletin board.
- Departmental bulletin board is a bulletin board for posting official printed materials of a University department. A departmental bulletin board should be clearly distinguishable from an official bulletin board and a general use bulletin board.
- General Use bulletin board is a bulletin board for posting other printed materials. A general use bulletin board should be clearly distinguishable from an official bulletin board and a departmental bulletin board.
- University Dining Facilities include Croatan, the Wright Place in Wright Building, Todd Dining Hall, Mendenhall Dining Hall, the Spot in Mendenhall, and the Galley in Jones Residence Hall.