Materials Management

Effective Date: 03/01/2000 Updated: 02/29/2008

Policy Statement 64: Removal of University Equipment From Campus


Misappropriation of State Property

Except as indicated herein, University equipment may not be removed, transferred, and/or disposed of. Removal of University equipment without approval may result in the individual being prosecuted for misappropriation of State property and/or larceny.

Under no circumstances can state-owned equipment be donated, traded-in, or given to another entity without approval of the State Surplus Property Office. State-owned equipment cannot be transferred out of the country. Transferring equipment out of the State is in violation of State guidelines.


Personal Use Not Allowed

Material purchased with University funds is the property of the State and, as such, is not intended for personal use. It is therefore not permissible to use University supplies or equipment for personal use.



When it may be expedient to remove University equipment from the campus in order to do work on University business elsewhere, permission must first be obtained from the Fixed Assets Section of the Materials Management Department, giving the type of equipment, University inventory number, the reason for its removal from the campus, and when the equipment will be returned. An equipment sign-out form is available from the Fixed Assets Section of the Materials Management Department.

Equipment – taken off campus for ECU business

Any time faculty or staff members take University-owned property off campus, an Equipment Tracking Form should be completed with appropriate Department Head granting permission for this property to be moved to an off-campus location. This Form indicates the period of time the property is to be off campus, a justification, ECU tag # if appropriate, and the description of the specific items involved.

If this property is to be off campus for over a week, this form must be sent to the Fixed Assets office for tracking. This form can be accessed on the Fixed Assets webpage.

Permission for removal of University-owned property can be granted only for University business and not for personal use. Departments who are taking a list of equipment off-campus for use in field projects may attach a list to the Equipment Tracking Form and state “Per Attached”. The same process can be utilized for equipment (example: laptop computer) checked out to faculty on an annual basis using the appropriate form. Departmental Heads are responsible for reporting any misuse of State property to the State Bureau of Investigation according to GS_114-15.1 and GS14-91 for embezzlement.

If the Department chair is requesting to take State Property off campus, the next in authority would sign the Equipment Tracking Form granting permission.

Short Duration

In those instances where the need is of short duration, as overnight or over a weekend, prior permission from the Fixed Assets Section of the Materials Management Department is not necessary for removal of equipment from the campus if it is to be used for University business. However, the tracking information should be kept internally for any equipment going off campus regardless of timeframe.