ECU Logo
 
1907 - 2007
Centennial Celebration


ECU Centenial 2007


 


ABOVE: Joyner Library (present Whichard), newly constructed, 1924. Construction began November 5, 1923 and cost $80,407. Designed by H.A. Underwood, who designed most of the early buildings on campus. Whichard was built specifically to house the library which had outgrown it's one room in Old Austin. The building opened on October 15, 1924. 1954 Joyner Library was constructed on present location, Whichard became the home of the Music Department. In 1968 Music moved into Fletcher and Whichard became administrative office space.

East Carolina's celebration of the century will commence in 2007 and will continue through 2009 as the university commemorates the official chartering of East Carolina  in 1907 as the first step toward the opening of class in 1909.

Check this page in the coming months for more information about opportunities to be a part of this great moment in ECU history.


The Centennial of East Carolina celebrates
the essence of the university
-service, leadership, ambition, and spirit-
by reflecting on a proud heritage, embracing an ever changing present, and proclaiming a bold and innovative future.