College of Human Ecology Need to Know Information

How do I arrange a meeting with an advisor?

If you would like to major in a degree offered within the College of Human Ecology, you should see an advisor located within the CHE Student Advising Center (140 Rivers) or call 252-328-2521 ext. 1. 

If you already have a CHE advisor, you can locate his/her name on your OneStop under the “Tools” tab in the “Advising” box.  If you click on “My Advisors” you will see your advisor’s name and contact information.  You can also see if your advisor has his or her OneStop Calendar available (especially during advising for the upcoming semester) which is also located in the Advising Box on your OneStop.

How do I register for courses on Banner Self-Service?
How do I obtain my ECU (Banner) ID?
Log onto OneStop and click the profile tab at the top or “What is my ECU (Banner) ID?” on the tools page. (Effective fall 2007, you will no longer use your social security number as your ID number.)
I received elective credit or did not receive any credit for a transfer course that I think should count as one of my required courses. What do I do?
-- Print and complete the form at this link

-- Submit completed form and any supporting documents (e.g. syllabus) to the chair of the department in which the course is taught.

-- The department will decide if the course is equivalent to an ECU course.

-- If you are unsure about the department, ask your academic advisor.
I received AP credit. How do I get the credit on my record at ECU?
You must request the College Board that administers the tests to send your AP scores to ECU.
All of my transfer credit is not showing up on Banner. What do I do?
Make sure that the college or university where you took the courses has sent an official transcript to the ECU Admissions Office. If it has been sent, contact the ECU Admissions Office to be sure it was received and ask when your credit will be entered on your record. You know your record better than anyone, so be sure to follow up on the credits that you have earned.

Don’t repeat a course that you already have credit for. You can only receive credit once. Keep your advisor informed and ask for assistance if you are still encountering difficulty.
How do I know what courses to take each semester?
Your catalog lists all requirements for your degree. The 4-year plan and check sheet that you received during Orientation will help you decide what to take next. These documents are also available in Rivers 140. Your advisor will send you an e-mail when it is time to schedule an advising appointment to plan classes for the next term. Sign up early for an appointment with your advisor to avoid the rush. Come prepared with a list of classes you are ready to take and questions.
How many grade replacements do I get?
Three prior to fall 2010
Four beginning with classes repeated fall 2010 or later
Note:  Grade replacements fall 2010 or later will be entered automatically for eligible classes that are 3 credits or more.  Grade replacements for 1 and 2 credit classes must be requested at the Office of the Registrar.  (See additional information below)
How does the grade replacement policy work?
A student is permitted to use the Grade Replacement Policy a maximum of four times for courses below 3000 in which he or she has earned a grade of D or F. For example, a student may replace a grade in four different courses or may replace a single course grade a maximum of four times or a combination thereof not to exceed the limits of the policy. Approval to use the policy will not be given if a student wishes to repeat a course after he or she has successfully completed an advanced course covering the same or similar material, for example, a course in the same academic discipline for which the repeated course is a prerequisite.

The grade replacements will be automatically processed for courses worth 3 or more semester hours. The student must request a grade replacement for 1 or 2 semester hour courses by completing a grade replacement form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. The grade replacement form for 1 or 2 semester hour courses must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the last day of classes of the semester in which the student retakes the course in order for the grade replacement(s) to be reflected in the student’s GPA and Academic Standing for the current semester. Although the original grade will not be used in determining the GPA of the student, the original grade will remain on the student’s permanent academic record and will be included in the calculation for consideration for honors. The replacement grade, or last grade, stands. Students receiving an F on the replacement grade must repeat the course if credit is required for graduation. In the event that the original grade was a D, no additional credit hours will be awarded. The grade replacement policy does not apply to courses taken prior to fall 1994.
How many drops do I get?
Students have four university drops that they may use once the drop/add period has passed. In order to drop a class after the deadline, students must come to the CHE Student Advising Center to complete a drop form.
How many years is my ECU catalog valid?
Five years. After five years you will be required to move to a newer catalog and follow the curriculum requirements in that catalog.

Your advisor might recommend that you move to a newer catalog if the curriculum has changed and the new curriculum will better prepare you for the workplace.
How do I gain permission to take courses at another college or university?
-- Print and complete the form at this link (click here for form).
-- Read the eligibility requirements on page 2 of the form.
-- If you have declared your major bring the form to the CHE Student Advising Center in 140 Rivers for a signature.
-- If you are still in general college, the form can be submitted without a department/school signature.
-- Return completed form to the Registrar’s Office in Whichard.
I think I am ready to declare my major. What do I do?
Check this link to determine the requirements to declare your major. If you have met the criteria, then you should email or meet with your academic advisor. He/she will make sure you have met the requirements and will help declare you.
How many hours of writing-intensive courses are required for graduation?
ECU requires 12 hours of writing-intensive (WI) credit for all first undergraduate degree students. You will earn 6 hours of WI for ENGL 1100 and 1200; you need at least 3 hours of WI in the major and an additional 3 WI hours in any area. Each CHE major is different. Many of the majors have 12 or more hours of WI built into the requirements.

Courses that meet the writing intensive requirement specify “WI” in the course description at the back of the ECU catalog and under “attributes” on Banner.

Please discuss this requirement with your academic advisor if you have concerns.
What do I do to change my major?
If you are reconsidering your major, but you are not sure what to change to, contact the Academic Advising and Support Center in 2500 Old Cafeteria Building, 328-6001. They have advisors trained to help you narrow your choices and explore other majors.

Your current academic advisor may also answer questions about different specific majors.

If you know the major you want to declare, contact the advisor for that major. If you are unsure, your current advisor or the Academic Advising and Support Center can assist you.
How do I obtain permission to register for more than 18 hours?
The university requires you to have a 3.0 or higher GPA if you want to take an overload. Contact your advisor if you plan to take more than 18 hours.
How do I withdraw from the University?
Don’t simply walk away—you have to process a withdrawal. Email for further instructions on the withdrawal process.
I think I am getting close to graduation. What do I do?
Come to the Student Services Center (140 Rivers) to schedule an appointment for a Senior Summary two semesters before you plan to graduate. For example, if you plan to graduate in the Spring of 2013 you will schedule a Senior Summary at the end of the Spring 2012 semester. You will apply for graduation at the time of your Senior Summary.
College of Human Ecology
Rivers Building | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.2502 | Contact Us
© 2014 | terms of use | Last Updated 03/04/2015


Enriching Lives. Enhancing Communities.