Child Development & Family Relations
       Alternative Routes to BK Licensure
If you already have a bachelor’s degree and wish to teach in classrooms requiring a BK license you, can find information on the Office of Alternative Licensure at East Carolina University's webpage. Additional information and sample plans of study are available for each alternate route described below. For information about applying for admission, click Resources and Forms on the Alternative Licensure webpage.
The Licensure Only option is for students who already have a four year college degree but no teaching license. If you have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to obtain a BK license, you may do so through Licensure Only. The Office of Alternative Licensure will evaluate individual transcripts and students will receive a Plan of Study. In your letter requesting a Licensure Only Plan of Study, indicate your desired area of licensure as Birth-Kindergarten.


The Add-on Licensure option is for individuals who currently hold a clear NC teaching license and want to add another subject area. The Department of Child Development and Family Relations offers the Birth through Kindergarten license as an Add-on Licensure program.


The Lateral Entry option allows an individual to teach while completing their coursework. Lateral entry teachers are individuals employed in a North Carolina school system that hold at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the subject area they are employed to teach. Graduates of approved education programs who are not recommended for licensure by their college or university are not eligible for a lateral entry license. Lateral entry teachers who affiliate with ECU are advised through the Office of Alternative Licensure in the Office of Teacher Education. Information can be found at the Lateral Entry webpage.

Licensure requirements can be met through a traditional face-to-face classroom environment or via distance education.  
Admission Requirements:
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Click here to apply to East Carolina University. Admission to East Carolina University does not guarantee admissions into your desired program of study.
Other Requirements:  
BK completers who teach kindergarten must submit passing scores on a specialty area examination. The test approved by the State Board of Education is ETS PRAXIS Series Early Childhood: Content Knowledge (10022). Additional information can be found on the ECU Testing Centerwebsite  
Additional Information:  
NC Pre-K Teachers in nonpublic schools who are interested in obtaining BK licensure can find information on the Early Educator Support, Licensure and Professional Development (EESLPD) Office website. (  
Standards, Accreditations and Certifications  
Please feel free to contact us at: or 252-328-6908.
College of Human Ecology
Rivers Building | Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
Contact Us
© 2014 | terms of use | Last Updated 08/20/2014


Enriching Lives. Enhancing Communities.