The department has two organizations for students wanting to meet others with similar interests, interact with practitioners and distinguished leaders, visit agencies, attend conferences and symposia, or join the national honorary society.
Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice Honor Society
We encourage students to become a member of Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice Honor Society. At ECU’s Omega Alpha chapter we value academic excellence and give our students the recognition they deserve. Criminal justice major undergraduate or graduate students, who meet the national standards, are invited to join the most prestigious criminal justice honorary society in the country.
Alpha Phi Sigma is the nationally recognized honor society for students in the field of criminal justice science (www.alphaphisigma.org ).
The society recognizes academic excellence by undergraduate and graduate students of criminal justice as well as students in the
juris doctorate field. You can access the Omega Alpha bylaws by clicking here.
Benefits of Alpha Phi Sigma:
- Interaction with other students who have similar interests
- Preparation for graduate school
- National Conference
- Chance to see speakers (local and national)
- Educational career opportunities
- A feeling of community
- Networking opportunities
- Graduation regalia
- Membership is for LIFE
- Declared a major, minor, or equivalent in the criminal justice or related field
- Have completed three full time semesters or its equivalent.
- Attain a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in their cumulative and criminal justice classes; rank in the top 35% of their class.
- Complete a minimum of four courses in the criminal justice field.
- Enrolled in a graduate program in criminal justice or related field
- Have completed four courses
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale or rank in the upper 25% of their class.
- Three of the four courses, can be counted from undergraduate work if you attained a 3.4 GPA or higher in those classes.
- Applications MUST be typed. Applications which are handwritten will be returned. All fields must be completed, unless listed
- You can access the membership application form by clicking here
- Provide a one-time $50 membership fee
- Payment MUST be in form of a money order or cashier’s check – no other forms of payment are accepted by the
- Make payment payable to the Alpha Phi Sigma National Headquarters
- Completed applications must be submitted to the chapter advisor for verification and signature. Return application and
payment to Rivers 245, to the attention of Dr. Heidi Bonner
For More Information:
Contact Dr. Heidi S. Bonner at email@example.com or 252-328-4382 (Rivers 240)