ECU Undergraduate Catalog 2000-2001



Because of the early publication of this catalog, the tuition and fee schedule is omitted.  The current university schedule of tuition and fees can be obtained from the cashier's office and the admissions office.

It is estimated that the average student who is a North Carolina resident incurs necessary expenses of approximately $6,000 to $7,000 for room, meals, tuition, fees, and books during an academic year of two semesters. The costs of meals and textbooks may vary considerably, according to individual requirements. The university operates food service facilities in six locations throughout the campus. Meals are available either under a meal plan or by individual selections at moderate prices. A cost of approximately $1,100 per semester for meals is an estimate. Students are required to purchase their textbooks. For their convenience, the university owns and operates a depository, the Student Stores, located on the ground floor of the Wright Building, where all necessary books and supplies may be purchased. The cost of books will vary with the different curricula; $300 per semester is a reasonable estimate.

All applicants for admission are required to pay a $45 nondeductible, nonrefundable application fee.  (See Section 3, Admission, Enrollment Deposit.)


Returning students or those admitted and registering before the collection of fees begins for the fall or spring semesters will be subject to a late payment fee if tuition and fees are not paid by a published deadline, which usually precedes registration day by about two weeks. To avoid having schedules canceled, tuition and fees must be paid no later than 4:00 p.m. on the last day before registration day. 

Students admitted to the university as nondegree students and those pursuing graduate degrees and sixth‑year certificates will be charged tuition and fees as graduates.

Tuition and fees are subject to revision by The UNC Board of Governors and/or the ECU Board of Trustees, who reserve the right to revise them at any time found necessary or advisable and without prior notice.

No person is allowed to attend class or receive class instruction without being properly registered either for credit or for audit.

See bulletins for summer session and continuing studies fees.


The tuition surcharge of 25 percent applies to all undergraduates seeking a baccalaureate degree at ECU with a matriculation date of fall 1994 or later under conditions described below.  Credit hours to be included in the total:

1. All regular session degree‑creditable courses taken at ECU, including repeated courses, failed courses, and those dropped after the last date to add a course.

2. All transfer credit hours accepted by ECU (except those taken at another UNC institution through summer school or through degree‑credit extension).

Credit hours to be excluded are those earned through: 1) The College Board's AP and CLEP programs or alternative programs; 2) institutional advanced placement, course validation, or any similar procedures for awarding course credit; and 3) a summer session or degree‑credit extension division of ECU.

The credit-hour threshold for imposing the surcharge depends upon the number of hours required to earn the degree. For students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a program that requires no more than 128 s.h., the surcharge is applied to all hours in excess of 140 s.h. For students earning a first baccalaureate degree in a board‑approved program that requires more than 128 s.h., the surcharge is applied to all hours that exceed 110 percent of the hours required for the degree. Examples of such programs include those that have been officially designated by the board of governors as five-year programs, programs involving double majors, and combined bachelor's/master's degree programs. For students earning a baccalaureate degree other than their first, the surcharge shall be applied to all hours that exceed 110 percent of the minimum additional hours needed to earn the additional baccalaureate degree.

Exemption:  The surcharge will not be imposed on undergraduates who complete a first four-year baccalaureate degree program in eight or fewer regular term semesters or the equivalent or a five-year program taken in ten or fewer regular term semesters or the equivalent.


The Offices of Veterans Administration and Social Security require a minimum course load of 12 s.h. of required courses per semester (except summer session) for payment of full‑time benefits to veterans and eligible dependents.

East Carolina University is approved for a student to take up to 56 s.h. of general education courses.  After a student receives the 56 s.h., he or she must declare a major either officially or unofficially for the VA.  The 56 s.h. will include transfer credits and credits earned on campus.

After the student declares a major, benefits will be paid only for courses listed in the catalog under that degree/major program. Substitutions are allowed when the major chairperson gives written approval prior to the student's taking the course.

Students declared academically ineligible will be required to remove their probation before educational benefits can be recertified to the VA.

Students may be eligible for an additional allowance under a work‑study program.  The work‑study program allows students to perform work for the VA in return for an hourly wage.  They may perform outreach services under the supervision of a VA employee, prepare and process VA paperwork, work in a VA medical facility, or other approved activities.  Students must be enrolled at three‑quarter or full‑time rate.

Students may be eligible to receive a special allowance for individual tutoring if they enter school at half‑time or more.  To qualify, students must have a deficiency in a subject, making the tutoring necessary.  There is no entitlement charged for tutorial assistance.

Further information is available at the campus veterans affairs office.


Persons 65 years of age and older who meet the requirements for the in‑state rate of tuition and the university requirements for admission can have their tuition and fees waived provided space is available in the course being sought.


The basis for determining the appropriate tuition charge rests upon whether a student is a resident or a nonresident for tuition purposes. Each student must make a statement as to the length of his or her residence in North Carolina, with assessment by the institution of that statement to be conditioned by the following:

Residence. To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident and remain a legal resident for at least twelve months immediately prior to classification.  Thus, there is a distinction between legal residence and residence for tuition purposes.  Furthermore, twelve months legal residence means more than simple abode in North Carolina.  In particular it means maintaining a domicile (permanent home of indefinite duration) as opposed to "maintaining a mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education." The burden of establishing facts which justify classification of a student as a resident entitled to in‑state tuition rates is on the applicant for such classification, who must show his or her entitlement by the preponderance (the greater part) of the residentiary information.

Initiative. Being classified a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the student's seeking such status and providing all information that the institution may require in making the determination.

Parents' Domicile. If an individual, irrespective of age, has living parent(s) or court‑appointed guardian of the person, the domicile of such parent(s) or guardian is, prima facie, the domicile of the individual; but this prima facie evidence of the individual's domicile may or may not be sustained by other information. Further, nondomiciliary status of parents is not deemed prima facie evidence of the applicant child's status if the applicant has lived (though not necessarily legally resided) in North Carolina for the five years preceding enrollment or re‑registration.

Effect of Marriage. Marriage alone does not prevent a person from becoming or continuing to be a resident for tuition purposes, nor does marriage in any circumstances insure that a person will become or continue to be a resident for tuition purposes. Marriage and the legal residence of one's spouse are, however, relevant information in determining residentiary intent. Furthermore, if both a husband and his wife are legal residents of North Carolina and if one of them has been a legal resident longer than the other, then the longer duration may be claimed by either spouse in meeting the twelve-month requirement for in‑state tuition status.

Military Personnel. A North Carolinian who serves outside the state in the armed forces does not lose North Carolina domicile simply by reason of such service.  And students from the military may prove retention or establishment of residence by reference, as in other cases, to residentiary acts accompanied by residentiary intent. In addition, a separate North Carolina statute affords tuition rate benefits to certain military personnel and their dependents even though not qualifying for the in‑state tuition rate by reason of twelve months legal residence in North Carolina.  Members of the armed services, while stationed in and concurrently living in North Carolina, may be charged a tuition rate lower than the out‑of‑state tuition rate to the extent that the total of entitlements for application tuition costs available from the federal government, plus certain amounts based under a statutory formula upon the in‑state tuition rate, is a sum less than the out‑of‑state tuition rate for the pertinent enrollment.  A dependent relative of a service member stationed in North Carolina is eligible to be charged the in‑state tuition rate while the dependent relative is living in North Carolina with the service member and if the dependent relative has met any requirement of the Selective Service System applicable to the dependent relative.  These tuition benefits may be enjoyed only if the applicable requirements for admission have been met; these benefits alone do not provide the basis for receiving those derivative benefits under the provisions of the residence classification statute reviewed elsewhere in this summary.

Grace Period. If a person (1) has been a bona fide legal resident of the required duration, (2) has consequently been classified a resident for tuition purposes, and (3) has subsequently lost North Carolina legal residence while enrolled at a public institution of higher education, that person may continue to enjoy the in‑state tuition rate for a grace period of twelve months measured from the date on which North Carolina legal residence was lost. If the twelve months period ends during an academic term for which the person is enrolled at a state institution of higher education, the grace period extends, in addition, to the end of that term. The fact of marriage to one who continues domicile outside North Carolina does not by itself cause loss of legal residence, marking the beginning of the grace period.

Minors. Minors (persons under eighteen years of age) usually have the domicile of their parents, but certain special cases are recognized by the residence classification statute in determining residence for tuition purposes.

a. If a minor's parents live apart, the minor's domicile is deemed to be North Carolina for the time period(s) that either parent, as a North Carolina legal resident, may claim and does claim the minor as a tax dependent, even if other law or judicial act assigns the minor's domicile outside North Carolina. A minor thus deemed to be a legal resident will not, upon achieving majority before enrolling at an institution of higher education, lose North Carolina legal residence if that person

(1) upon becoming an adult "acts, to the extent that the person's degree of actual emancipation permits, in a manner consistent with bona fide legal residence in North Carolina" and

(2) "begins enrollment at an institution of higher education not later than the fall academic term following completion of education prerequisite to admission at such institution."

b. If a minor has lived for five or more consecutive years with relatives (other than parents) who are domiciled in North Carolina and if the relatives have functioned during this time as if they were personal guardians, the minor will be deemed a resident for tuition purposes for an enrolled term commencing immediately after at least five years in which these circumstances have existed. If under this consideration a minor is deemed to be a resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to his or her eighteenth birthday, that person on achieving majority will be deemed a legal resident of North Carolina of at least twelve months' duration. This provision acts to confer in‑state tuition status even in the face of other provisions of law to the contrary; however, a person deemed a resident of twelve months' duration pursuant to this provision continues to be a legal resident of the state only so long as he or she does not abandon North Carolina domicile.

Lost But Regained Domicile. If a student ceases enrollment at or graduates from an institution of higher education while classified a resident for tuition purposes and then both abandons and reacquires North Carolina domicile within a twelve month period, that person, if he or she continues to maintain the reacquired domicile into re‑enrollment at an institution of higher education, may re‑enroll at the in‑state tuition rate without having to meet the usual twelve-month durational requirement. However, any one person may receive the benefit of this provision only once.

Change of Status. A student admitted to initial enrollment in an institution (or permitted to re‑enroll following an absence from the institutional program which involved a formal withdrawal from enrollment) must be classified by the admitting institution either as a resident or as a nonresident for tuition purposes prior to actual enrollment. A residence status classification once assigned (and finalized pursuant to any appeal properly taken) may be changed thereafter (with corresponding change in billing rates) only at intervals corresponding with the established primary divisions of the academic year.

Transfer Students. When a student transfers from one North Carolina public institution of higher education to another, he or she is treated as a new student by the institution to which he or she is transferring and must be assigned an initial residence status classification for tuition purposes.

Copies of the most current North Carolina residency manual are available for inspection in the university residence classification office, Joyner Library, and Health Sciences Library.  Students are responsible for being familiar with the contents of this source of regulation.

Deadline for Application. Any persons applying for the in‑state rate of tuition should complete the current Residence Status Application and return it to the university residency classification office, in the Office of Admissions, at least three weeks prior to registration day for the semester or term they are seeking in‑state tuition.


Tuition and Fees

It is to the financial advantage of all students withdrawing, dropping to part-time status, or dropping to a lower block of credit hours to do so as early in the semester/session as possible.  Refunds for tuition and required fees (excluding room and board charges which are determined by contractual agreement) will be made as follows for students who withdraw or drop to a lower block of credit hours:

Through the first week of classes (five class days starting the first official day of classes for the university) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 100 percent minus a $25 nonrefundable registration/processing fee.

The second week of classes (six to ten consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 75 percent minus the registration/processing fee.

The third week of classes (eleven to fifteen consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 50 percent minus the registration/processing fee.

The fourth week of classes (sixteen to twenty consecutive class days) tuition and required fees will be refunded at 25 percent minus the registration/processing fee.

Beginning with the fifth week of classes (twenty-first consecutive class day) refunds will not be considered.  If the student wishes to appeal, the process must be initiated in writing to the Office of the University Comptroller.

All refunds are subject to the above noted time limitations and will be based on the difference between the amount paid and the charge for the block of hours for which the student is officially registered.

Policy Exceptions

There will be no refunds for private music lessons and/or remedial math after the first five class days of each semester.

A separate and extended refund policy exists for first-time federal title IV financial aid recipients.  Refer to financial aid materials or contact the Student Financial Aid Office.

To officially withdraw from the university, a student must give written notice and surrender the student activity card to the Office of the Dean of Students.

Any refunds that a student is entitled to shall first be applied to outstanding financial obligations owed the university.

Summer Sessions

The refund period for withdrawal or reduction in course load is limited to the first week of classes (five class days starting with the first official day of classes for the university).  During this period, 100 percent of the tuition  and fees will be refunded minus a $25 registration/processing charge.


No degree, diploma, or certificate will be granted or transcript of credits furnished a student until all financial obligations to the university, other than secured student loans, have been paid.  A student may not be permitted to register, to attend classes, or to take final examinations after the due date of any unpaid obligations.

A student debtor shall pay all costs related to the collection process which are incurred by the university if a student debtor's delinquent account is referred to an outside collection agency and/or an attorney.

A charge will be imposed by the Office of the Cashier, Student Stores, and other university offices for returned checks. They will also subject the maker to legal action and may jeopardize the privilege of cashing checks on campus.


Through the use of federal and state funds, as well as contributions from its many friends and alumni, East Carolina University makes every effort to assist students in the continuation of their education. The staff of the university Office of Student Financial Aid assists students in obtaining funds from the source best suited to the individual's need.

Three main types of financial assistance are available to qualified students: gift aid, consisting of grants and scholarships; long‑term educational loans; and part‑time employment.  Students classified as nondegree auditors, special students, or visitors are not eligible for financial aid.

Because the primary aim of the financial aid programs is to provide assistance to students who, without aid, would be unable to continue their education, most of the funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. However, in its efforts to strive for excellence, the university offers assistance to some talented students based on merit rather than need.

The university participates in federal programs which provide funds on the basis of financial need as follows:

Federal Pell Grant
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
Federal Parent Loan Program
Federal Perkins Loan
Federal Work‑Study Program
Federal Stafford Student Loan Program
Nursing Student Loan

Information pertaining to the application process, types of aid available, and academic requirements may be obtained from the East Carolina University Office of Student Financial Aid.

Students should contact appropriate deans or departmental chairpersons of intended major areas concerning scholarships that are available in those disciplines.


The University of North Carolina will continue to fund the Minority Presence Grant Program, General Program, Part I and Part II.  The University will allocate this money to historically white and historically black institutions to aid them in recruiting financially needy North Carolina students who would be minority presence students at the respective institutions by enabling the institutions to offer relatively more aid for minority presence students in the form of grants rather than loans.  General program part I includes funds for minority presence grants for students attending the North Carolina Central University School of Law.  General program Part II consists of grant funds for Native Americans, Hispanics, and Asians.


East Carolina University maintains an Office of National/International Fellowships and Scholarships to familiarize students with the competitive national and international fellowships and scholarships available to selected students intent on pursuing graduate work.  These fellowships and scholarships, for the most part, are for terms long enough to ensure completion of the master's degree, but in some cases they allow for work on the doctoral degree.  Among the fellowships and scholarships coordinated by this office are the Rhodes Scholarships, the Fulbright Grants, and the Harry S. Truman Scholarships (undergraduate only).  Interested students should contact the director, Honors Program, 2026 General Classroom Building, or the overseas opportunities coordinator, Office of International Affairs.

ECU Undergraduate Catalog 2000-2001
Back Next Index Table of Contents ECU