A post baccalaureate teacher licensure candidate is a student who holds a baccalaureate degree and wishes to work toward their teaching license. These candidates typically have been issued a licensure only, lateral entry, or an add-on plan of study from the Office of Alternative Licensure in the College of Education.

Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Guidelines

  • You must have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university
  • Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Alternative Licensure to request a plan of study if you do not already have a plan of study for Licensure. Email the Office of Alternative Licensure at alternativelicensure@ecu.edu.

If you are pursuing a license in the following programs please contact The Graduate School, as you will need to apply as a Non-Degree Graduate Student. A master's degree is required to add one of these to an existing license, with the exception of Academically Intellectually Gifted.

  • Curriculum Instruction Specialist
  • School Administration
  • School Counselor
  • School Social Work
  • Media Coordinator
  • Instructional Tech Specialist - Computers
  • Speech/Language Pathology
  • Academically Intellectually Gifted

Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Application To ECU

Admission Applications: Online Application for Undergraduate Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure

  • Provide the Undergraduate Admissions office with a sealed official transcript from the university where you received your bachelor’s degree.
  • You DO NOT need to send high school transcripts or achievement test scores.
  • On the application please complete only the items with the *asterisk symbol.  For “Entrance Status” select “Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure."
  • If you receive an error/omission message verify that you are seeking teacher licensure and not one of the other listed programs (review all of the text and respond to the questions then select “next” at the bottom when complete).
  • For desired major, select “Teacher Licensure."
  • Please make sure you answer all required questions and click submit.
  • You can pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee with either a debit or credit card.

Readmission Applications: Online Readmission Application for Undergraduate Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure

  • Please note that you DO NOT need to send high school transcripts or achievement test scores.
  • On the application you will only need to complete the items with the * symbol.
  • For “Entrance Status” please select “POST BACC Readmit,” and for Desired Major, select “Teacher Licensure.” Please note that during the application you will be asked to provide your ECU ID.
  • Please make sure you answer all required questions and click submit.
  • You can pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee with either a debit or credit card.

Deadlines: Post Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Applications for Admission

SemesterComplete application by:
Spring 2019November 26, 2018
Summer 2019April 22, 2019
Fall 2019July 29, 2019

Get Started! Click here to sign up or log in

Residency Determination

The Residency Determination Service (RDS) has been established by the North Carolina State Legislature as the centralized service for determining residency for students. If you are an undergraduate student applying for admission and claiming in-state residency for tuition purposes, you must visit www.NCresidency.org to verify your residency. If you've already completed the residency verification process and obtained your Residency Certification Number (RCN), you can enter your RCN when filling out our application. If you do not already have your RCN, you may submit your application and then come back and enter your RCN once you have it. It is your responsibility to complete the Residency Determination Process in a timely manner. Your residency status determines your cost of tuition and eligibility for North Carolina-supported financial aid.

For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar's Residency page, or contact RDS at 1-844-319-3640 or rdsinfo@ncresidency.org.

Professional Licensure Disclosure Statement

All ECU academic programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in North Carolina.  In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, ECU is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of North Carolina.  ECU cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of North Carolina.  Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside North Carolina. 

Important Note to Residents Outside North Carolina

Admission of applicants outside the State of North Carolina to an online degree, certificate, or individual online course offered by East Carolina University is dependent on ECU's ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence, if such authorization is required. Click here to read full notice.

Any Questions? Contact Us