If you have attended any post-secondary institution for any length of time after graduation from high school or earning the Adult Equivalency Degree, you are considered a transfer applicant. Applicants must also meet all minimum transfer requirements.

Transfer Admission Requirements

A completed application for transfer admission includes:

  • An online application
  • $70 nonrefundable application fee
  • Submission of ALL official transcripts from each college, technical institute, or university attended. Official electronic transcripts from most transcript services are accepted. Otherwise, please have all official documents sent in a sealed/signed envelope.

    Official documents should be sent to:
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    Mailstop 517
    East Carolina University
    Greenville, NC 27858-4353

    Or emailed to

    If using FedEx or UPS, use address:
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    106 Whichard Building
    East Carolina University
    Greenville, NC 27858-4353

NOTE: Meeting the minimum admission qualifications does not guarantee admission nor does it guarantee admission into your academic program of interest. Offers of admission are extended on the basis of a competitive review process and are subject to enrollment limits. Only courses with a grade of C or higher from regionally accredited institutions are eligible to transfer and can be used to gain admission.

Transfer Criteria

In order to be eligible for review by the Admissions Committee, transfer students (with or without a 2-year degree) must:

  • Have a cumulative 2.5 GPA from all post-secondary institutions attended
  • Have completed a minimum of 24 transferable credit hours including the equivalent to ECU's ENGL 1100 Composition, ENGL 1200, or ENGL 2201


Please verify the transferability of your coursework as often technical credits do not transfer to East Carolina University. Access the Transfer Course Equivalency website.

If you are interested in pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology (BSIT) or Bachelor of Science in Construction Management and have an Associate of Applied Science, please review the information on the A.A.S Transfer Program and what programs are approved for transfer.

If you are a graduate of a Cooperative Innovative High School (Early College), please read more about your application options here.

Students with foreign credit: All official documents must be in English. You must provide evaluation of official documents from an accredited agency. View the list of accredited agencies. All credits received from a foreign institution will be transferred as departmental electives unless you provide us with course descriptions. Course descriptions should be translated to English.

Transfer Resources

Access the Transfer Course Equivalency page.

Access the NC Community College Degree Plans.

Deadlines: Transfer Applications for Admission

SemesterApplication DeadlineFinal Transcripts DeadlineEnrollment Deposit Deadline
(Admitted Students Only)
Spring 2017November 28, 2016December 2, 2016

December 9, 2016

Summer 2017April 3, 2017April 13, 2017

April 28, 2017

Fall 2017April 3, 2017 April 13, 2017 April 28, 2017 


It is strongly advised to pay your deposit as soon as possible to reserve your space in the incoming class. Visit the Admitted Student Checklist for Transfer Students for instructions on paying your deposit and to review other important steps in the enrollment process.

Get Started! Click here to sign up or log in

Transfer Tour Visits

Please register to join us for one of our Transfer Tour Visits. During your visit, you will enjoy a transfer information session followed by a walking tour of our beautiful campus. Click here to register and then select from any of the Transfer Visit Day events listed.

Graduates of Cooperative Innovative High Schools (Early College)

Beginning with the 2017 admissions cycle, graduates from North Carolina Cooperative Innovative High Schools have an important decision to make when seeking admission to East Carolina University. According to House Bill 97 Section 11.16. (a) "any student who graduated from a cooperative innovative high school program with an associate degree and who applies for admission to the constituent institution has the option of being considered for admission as a freshman or as a transfer student." You can see if your early college qualifies by reviewing the list of Cooperative Innovative High School Programs.

If you meet the criteria listed above, please consider the following information when selecting which application to submit. Please call our office at 252-328-6640 before you submit an application if you have any questions.

  • Only freshmen applicants are eligible for consideration for the Honors College, EC Scholars, and Early Assurance admission opportunities.
  • Admission to selective majors such as Nursing and Engineering may be affected by which application you select.
  • Many university-awarded scholarships are reserved for freshmen applicants.
  • On-campus housing for transfer students is limited and not guaranteed.
  • Transfer applicants who have earned an Associate Degree are not required to submit standardized test scores.
By applying as a freshman and also submitting your college transcript, we can consider both your high school academic work and test scores as well as your college courses and grades. We will weigh both as we make an admission decision.

Important Notice to Residents Outside of North Carolina

All ECU academic programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in North Carolina.  In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, ECU is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure outside the state of North Carolina.  ECU cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure outside of the State of North Carolina.  Please contact applicable licensure board(s) in any state you may want to pursue licensure prior to beginning the academic program in order to determine whether the program meets licensure requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm program eligibility for licensure in any state outside North Carolina. 

Any Questions? Contact Us