Welcome from the Division of Research, Economic Development, and Engagement!
New ECU Faculty!
As part of your orientation, we invite you to visit and learn about the Division of Research, Economic Development, and Engagement (REDE). East Carolina University is proud of its research community and discoveries emanating from faculty members' research and creative activities. REDE provides infrastructure for these activities, including start-up packages, seed funding, graduate student assistantships, pre- and post-award services, and oversight of regulatory compliance.
The staff in REDE will assist you discover the opportunities and resources available to conduct research, train and mentor graduate students, seek funding for your ECU research and creative activities, identify and interface with partners inside and outside of the University, and to navigate the legal, regulatory, and business processes associated with your activities.
The following offices within REDE will assist you with your
graduate teaching, research, and creative activities:
- Office of the Vice Chancellor - Start-up packages, seed funding, course buyouts for preparation of grant proposals, institutional policies related to research and creative activities (https://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/rede/);
Research - Competitive awards for research support, stipends, and travel funds
for students presenting their work at discipline-specific meetings (https://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/rgs/ur/index.cfm);
- Office of Post-Doctoral Affairs - Administration of personnel and career development aspects of post-doctoral scholars (http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/postdoctoralaffairs/index.cfm);
Programs - Pre-award proposal development and submission services (http://www.ecu.edu/osp/);
- Grants and Contracts - Post-award administration and financial management of grants and
- Office of Research Development - Assistance in identifying and obtaining funding for research projects, and coordinating development and submission of large multidisciplinary proposals (http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/rgs/ord/);
- Office of
Research Integrity and Compliance – Protection
of rights and welfare of human subjects (IRB) and ethical conduct in research,
scholarship and creative activities (http://www.ecu.edu/irb/);
- Animal Care
and Use Committee (IACUC) - Humane use and care of animals in teaching and
- Office of Public Service and Community Relations - Support for engaged scholarship including faculty and student development; Public Service Fellows program, assistance in working with community partners to address needs within the region (http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/pscr/);
- Office of
Innovation and Economic Development – Technology transfer
(protection of intellectual property, patenting, copyrighting, commercialization
of discoveries), survey research, and partnerships with the public and private
sectors to promote job creation (http://www.ecu.edu/oeied/).
REDE will host a session during New Faculty Orientation on the afternoon of Tuesday, August 16th, where you will have the opportunity to chat with the
Division directors and learn how they can assist with your research and
More information about the Division can be found at our website (http://www.ecu.edu/rede/
) and in materials provided by the Office for Faculty Excellence.
you will find ECU and Greenville most welcoming places to work and live, and that
your time at ECU will be productive and enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to
contact me if we can be of assistance to you.