Alternative/Private Loans are non federal loans from outside sources such as a bank or other lending institution that does not require the completion of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and should be utilized as a last resource when grants, scholarships, and federal loans have not met the estimated cost of attendance.
Alternative/Private Loan programs differ from Direct Stafford Loans because annual and cumulative loan limits are higher; interest rates are variable and change on a quarterly basis; loans and interest rates are based on credit approval and is not guaranteed; loans are not federally guaranteed therefore they do not have the same deferment, cancellation, and consolidation benefits. The terms and conditions of this loan can vary among lending institutions. Students are advised to contact lenders directly for detailed information on individual loan products and compare loan programs before choosing a lender. ECU Office of Student Financial Aid will certify an alternative loan through any lender.
- Review all lenders and determine which loan program best meets your needs.
- Obtain the appropriate loan application, read thoroughly, complete accurately, and submit to the lender. Mistakes on the application will create processing delays.
- Supply the lender with all requests for supporting documentation.
- Once processed and approved the lending institution will forward information to ECU for certification. All credit decisions are made by the lender.
- Allow two weeks for ECU to verify and certify your application. We strive to process all application as quickly as possible, however, during peak processing times it can take the full two weeks.
- The entire process from start to finish can take a minimum of 30 days.
Alternative/Private Loan Lenders
Discover offers the Discover Student Loan to assist students in their college career.
Sallie Mae offers the SMART Options Student Loan. This alternative/private loan offers a fixed repayment option, interest repayment option, and a deferred repayment option. This loan requires school certification.
Wells Fargo offers the Wells Fargo Collegiate Loan, Wells Fargo Education Connection Loan, Well Fargo Graduate Loan, and the MedCap Alternative Loan for Health Professionals.