Steps to Apply
1. Apply for Admission to ECU.
2. Obtain a PIN from the U.S. Department of Education.
- This PIN serves as your electronic signature.
- If you are a dependent student one of your parents will also need to request a PIN.
- If you have lost or forgot your PIN, you can request a duplicate.
3. Gather the information that you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Student and/or Parent Social Security Numbers
- Federal Income Tax Returns
- W-2 forms or documentation of money earned during the tax year
- Untaxed income (child support, TANF, payments to tax-deffered pension, worker's compensation)
- Current balance of cash, savings, and checking accounts
- Net worth of business and investments
3. Use the IRS Data Retrieval Process to assist you in completing the FAFSA.
- As long as you have filed your federal tax return, you can link to the IRS website from the FAFSA, retrieve the tax information directly from the IRS, and automatically populate the FAFSA questions related to the tax return. We encourage you to take advantage of the IRS Data Retrieval Process when completing your FAFSA.
- If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing your FAFSA we encourage you to go and update your FAFSA tax information via the IRS Data Retrieval Tool option.
4. Complete and submit the FAFSA.
- ECU's Federal School Code is 002923