EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2003-2004 Academic Year
DUE: May 3, 2004
(Please limit the report to two pages.)
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Stephen Dock Foreign Languages
Ginger Woodard Interior Design and Merchandising
Brenda Eastman Social Work
Jeff Phipps Theatre and Dance
John Crammer Computer Science
Rebecca Powers Sociology
EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS with vote:
James L. Smith Rep. of Chancellor
(replaced in November by Austin Bunch)
Angela Anderson Rep. of Provost-Registrar
Nancy House Rep. of Chair of the Faculty-Art
Mary Farwell Faculty Senator-Biology
Shannon O’Donnell Representative of Student Government Association
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*). * and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
September 8, 2003
Jeff Phipps, John Crammer, Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Nancy House,
October 1, 2003
Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Brenda Eastman, Jeff Phipps, John Crammer, PunamMadhok, Amy Bissette (for
Angela Anderson), Mary Farwell, Nancy House, Shannon O’Donnell
October 8, 2003
Brenda Eastman, Jeff Phipps, John Crammer, Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, Amy Bissette (for Angela
Anderson), Nancy House, Matthew Cohen (for Shannon O’Donnell)
November 5, 2003
Brenda Eastman, Jeff Phipps, John Crammer, Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, Stephen Dock, Angela Anderson,
Austin Bunch, Mary Farwell
December 3, 2003
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, Angela Anderson, Nancy House
February 2, 2004
Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, John Crammer, Angela Anderson, Nancy House, Austin Bunch
March 1, 2004
Rebecca Powers, PunamMadhok, Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Brenda Eastman, Jeff Phipps, John Crammer,
Angela Anderson, Nancy House, Mary Farwell
April 19, 2004
Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Brenda Eastman, Jeff Phipps, Rebecca Powers, John Crammer, Mary Farwell
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include
recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
- Continued process of coordinating ECU academic calendars with Pitt County school system and Pitt Community College.
- Modified internal committee calendar guidelines.
- Discussed the rule for submitting grades within 48 hours of the final exam (the Admissions and Retention committee made a
proposal to the Faculty Senate), changing the add-only day at the beginning of the semester, and changing day for Spring commencement.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
- Modify Fall 2003 calendar and class meeting times to make up classes missed because of hurricane Isabel (03-43)
- Modify common exam schedule to add two CHEM lab classes to schedule and group exam days for the same department.
- Approve Summer 2005, Fall 2005, Spring 2006 calendars. (04-13)
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
- Work on policy for making up class days and time lost due to adverse weather.
- Study scheduling of commencement for both Fall and Spring semesters in the UNC system and at ECU.
- Continue communication and coordination with Pitt Community College and Pitt County Schools.
- Continue studying the rule for submitting grades within 48 hours of the final, changing the add-only day at the beginning
of the semester, and changing the day for Spring commencement.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: No problems
B. Personnel: The committee worked well together. Encourage greater participation by student representative.
C. Attendance: Faculty teaching schedules limit choices of when the committee can meet.
D. Responsibilities: No problems.
E. Activities: The committee created a calendar for the 2005-2006 academic year, as is its charge. The committee
discussed and accomplished a lot of things.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
Establish a policy of when class time lost due to adverse weather should be made up. Provide consistency and clarity
concerning the scheduling of commencements.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
_______ yes ______X____ no
If yes, when do you prefer: _____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson John Crammer