2000-2001 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Mary Farwell Biology
Salman Abdulali Math
Roger Rulifson Biology
John Crammer Csci/Math
Robert Caprio Theatre and Dance
Charles Calhoun History
Michael Aho Student Government Association
EX-OFFICIO MEMBER with vote:
Don Neal Rep. of Faculty Chair/Geology
EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS without vote:
James L. Smith Rep. of Chancellor
Trenton Davis Rep. of VCAA/Allied Health Sciences
Bill Clutter Rep. of VC for Student Life
Chuck Hawkins Rep. of VC for Administration/Finance
Angela Anderson Rep. of Registrar
Bob Denney Weekend University Representative
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
August 22, 2000
Bob Morrison, Salman Abdulali, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Don Neal, Bill Clutter, Scott Buck, Angela Anderson, Bob Denney, Bob Morrison, Richard Ringeisen, Michael Aho, Lori Lee
September 27, 2000
Mary Farwell, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Michael Aho, Trenton Davis, Mr. Bill Clutter, Chuck Hawkins, Bob Denney, Amy Bissette, George Harrell
October 18, 2000
Salman Abdulali, Mary Farwell, Roger Rulifson, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer, Don Neal, Chuck Hawkins, Angela Anderson, Bob Denney
November 15, 2000
Salman Abdulali, Mary Farwell, Roger Rulifson, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer, Michael Aho, Chuck Hawkins, Angela Anderson, Bob Denney, Bill Clutter, Trenton Davis
December 6, 2000
Mary Farwell, Roger Rulifson, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer, Michael Aho, Don Neal, Chuck Hawkins, Bill Clutter, Trenton Davis, Belinda Patterson (for Bob Denney), Manny Amaro, Bob Morrison
January 30, 2001
Mary Farwell, Salman Abdulali, Roger Rulifson, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer, Don Neal, Angela Anderson, Chuck Hawkins, Bill Clutter, Bob Denney
February 6, 2001
Mary Farwell, Salman Abdulali, Roger Rulifson, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer,Michael Aho, Don Neal, Angela Anderson, Chuck Hawkins, Bob Denney, Jim Smith
April 17, 2001
Mary Farwell, Salman Abdulali, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, John Crammer,Don Neal, Angela Anderson, Bill Clutter
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
Modified calendar to include a week break between Spring and Summer, change dates for canceling schedules for students who have not paid fees, Memorial Day holiday for first summer session, use light exam day in place of Reading Day, remove registration day.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
Faculty Senate Resolution #01-10
Approved by the Faculty Senate: 27 February 2001
Approved by the Chancellor: 5 March 2001
Summer 2002, Fall 2002, and Spring 2003 University Calendars.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
1. Update internal committee guidelines for calendars to incorporate changes such as schedule cancellation dates, changes in registration.
2. Exam schedule for courses delivered over the web
3. Coordination of some aspects of the calendar with the Pitt County Schools (contact Brenda Jones at 830-4261)
4. Pursue return to a 14-week semester in consultation with our sister institutions.
5. Review Common Exam schedule
6. Changes to guidelines for scheduling classes, specifically 4 semester hour classes. Initiate discussion with the Academic Standards committee concerning the science requirement and its effect on science courses (e.g., courses in BIOL, GEOL, and PHYS that do not have a lab).
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
Charge: The committee has expressed concern about proposed changes to the committees membership. Of concern is the removal of ex-officio without vote members who have provided valuable advice. The changes were approved by the Faculty Senate.
Personnel: The committee worked well together. The chair is pleased to see more involvement by the student member than he has seen on committees he has been on in previous years.
Attendance: Everyone has done well in attending the committee meetings.
Responsibilities: No problems
Activities: The committee created a calendar for one academic year, as is its charge.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
Don’t remove the ex-officio members unless requested by the ex-officio members or the committee. Reinstate the committee structure to what it was prior to changes made by the Faculty Senate
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? ____X______no