EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2001-2002 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Roger Rulifson Biology
John Crammer Computer Science
Robert Caprio Theatre and Dance
Charles Calhoun History
Stephen Dock Foreign Languages
Ginger Woodard Human Environmental Sciences
Patricia Myers Business
EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS with vote:
James L. Smith Rep. of Chancellor
Angela Anderson Rep. of Interim VC for Academic Affairs
Mary Farwell Rep. of Faculty Chair-Biology
Chris Ulffers Faculty Senator-Music
Sadie Cox Student Government Association
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*). * and members who contributed to committee
action, but were not at the meeting.
August 29, 2001
Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Patricia Myers, John Crammer, James Smith, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell
September 19, 2001
Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Ginger Woodard, Patricia Myers, Roger Rulifson, Angela Anderson, Mike Orr (for Sadie Cox)
October 24, 2001
John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Stephen Dock, Patricia Myers, Roger Rulifson, Angela Anderson
November 28, 2001
Roger Rulifson, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Chris Ulffers, Mary Farwell, Amy Bissette (representing Angela Anderson)
January 16, 2002
Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Patricia Myers, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Chris Ulffers
February 21, 2002
Roger Rulifson, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Patricia Myers, Jim Smith, Amy Bissette (for Angela Anderson), Mary Farwell
March 28, 2002
Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Ginger Woodard, Patricia Myers, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Chris Ulffers
April 25, 2002
Roger Rulifson, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Ginger Woodard, Patricia Myers, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please
include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
- Started process of coordinating ECU academic calendars with Pitt County school system and PCC.
- Modified calendar to fit new contact minutes requirements as mandated by the General Administration to have 750 contact minutes, including final exams, per credit hour.
- Modified exam schedule for evening graduate level classes to be 7:30 to 10:00 and resolved exam scheduling conflicts for evening classes starting at 8:00 pm or later.
- Changed length of final exams from two hours to two and a half hours to satisfy the 750 minute requirement for 3 s.h. classes.
- Changed the time between summer session classes from ten minutes to fifteen minutes.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
- Change class scheduling guidelines for afternoon classes starting at 2:30 p.m. or later and for evening classes.
- Modify Fall 2002 calendar to start on classes on Wednesday.
- Approval of Summer 2003, Fall 2003, Spring 2004 calendars
- Modify times for summer session classes to have a 15-minute break between classes.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
1. Update Faculty Senate approved guidelines for calendars and Committee internal guidelines for calendars.
2. Modify contact minutes guidelines for Fall/Spring/Summer classes to meet the 750-minute standard.
3. Establish exam schedule for web-based classes.
4. Review Common Exam schedule.
5. Consider changes to guidelines for lecture based 4 s.h. classes.
6. Attempt to firm up communication with Pitt County Schools.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work
during the year).
A. Charge: No problems
B. Personnel: The committee worked well together.
C. Attendance: Everyone has done their best. Faculty teaching schedules limit choices of when the committee can meet.
D. Responsibilities: No problems.
E. Activities: The committee created a calendar for the 2003-2004 academic year, as is its charge. It also used the new contact minutes guidelines to allow a change in the Fall 2002 calendar that benefits the administration, faculty, staff, and students.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
Suggest that the representative of the VCAA/Provost be a member of the Enrollment Management Council.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
Chairperson: John Crammer
Secretary: Roger Rulifson