EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2002-2003 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
John Crammer Computer Science
Robert Caprio Theatre and Dance
Charles Calhoun History
Stephen Dock Foreign Languages
Ginger Woodard Human Environmental Sciences
Brenda Eastman Social Work and Criminal Justice Studies
EX-OFFICIO MEMBERS with vote:
James L. Smith Rep. of Chancellor
Angela Anderson Rep. of Provost
Mary Farwell Rep. of Faculty Chair-Biology
Cal Christian Faculty Senator-Accounting
Student Government Association
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*). * and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
August 22, 2002
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Jean Hiebert, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell
September 16, 2002
John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Amy Bissette (for Angela Anderson), Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
October 21, 2002
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Brenda Eastman (joined committee), Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
November 18, 2002
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
December 9, 2002
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
February 3, 2003
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Brenda Eastman, Angela Anderson, Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
March 10, 2003
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Brenda Eastman, Mary Farwell, Cal Christian
April 21, 2003
Ginger Woodard, John Crammer, Robert Caprio, Charles Calhoun, Stephen Dock, Amy Bissette (for Angela Anderson), Mary Farwell
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
Subcommittee formed to revise contact minute guidelines for summer sessions and to work on new 11-week summer session (Caprio, Farwell, Crammer). Completed work with results approved by the committee.
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include
recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
- Continued process of coordinating ECU academic calendars with Pitt Community College and Pitt County school system. Met with Brenda Jones representing Pitt County Schools.
- Modified Faculty Senate and internal committee calendar guidelines.
- Modified Spring 2004 calendar to work better with other local schools.
- Modified contact minute guidelines for 5-week summer sessions.
- Created guidelines and calendar for an 11-week summer session. Asked other committees and administration about implementing the new session
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
- Approve Faculty Senate calendar guidelines. (February 25, 2003: resolution 03-10)
- Modify Spring 2004 calendar to move Spring Break to a better date. (February 25, 2003: resolution 03-09)
- Approve Summer 2004, Fall 2004, Spring 2005 calendars. (February 25, 2003: resolution 03-11)
- Approve new 11-week summer session for Summer 2004. (February 25, 2003: resolution 03-11)
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
- Review Common Exam schedule. Consider changes suggested by Chemistry (schedule the lecture exams before the lab exams) and Foreign Languages (schedule their exams on consecutive exam days)
- Consider changes to guidelines for lecture-based 4 s.h. classes.
- Continue communication with Pitt Community College and Pitt County Schools
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: No problems
B. Personnel: The committee worked well together. Encourage appointment and participation of a student member.
C. Attendance: Faculty teaching schedules limit choices of when the committee can meet. This year was the first time a regular member resigned and was replaced
D. Responsibilities: No problems.
E. Activities: The committee created a calendar for the 2004-2005 academic year, as is its charge. It also used information from Pitt Community College and Pitt County Schools as well as a change in Founders Day activities to allow a change in the Spring 2004 calendar that benefits the administration, faculty, staff, and students. Created a new summer session. The committee accomplished a lot of things.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?