COMMITTEE: _____University Curriculum_________________
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Ron Graziani, James 0. Smith, Chuck Singhas, Iona Poston, Thomas
Ruener, Steven Estes, Elizabeth Smith, Rick Taylor, Dale
Knickerbocker, David Batie, Monica Rough, Michael Aho, Greg Lapicki,
Michele Sharp, Rita Reeves and Sharon Bland[staff liaison].
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and member who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
14 September 2000
28 September 2000
12 October 2000
9 November 2000
11 January 2001
8 February 2001
22 February 2001
8 March 2001
12 April 2001
26 April 2001
All members were present for all meetings unless excused for other university business
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals.
Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the
Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
a. conducted regular business
b. electronic submission forms were updated
c. the issue of the 5000 level courses was resolved-5000 level courses will not be
considered by this committee
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
January 01-03; 01-07
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
1. Continue to update and revise submission process.
2.Investigate use of web based submission forms [e.g. adobe].
3.Hold workshops for curriculum submission.
4.Work to strengthen the relationship between student assessment and curriculum revision.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Adequate
B. Personnel: Excellent- a truly great and hard working group of people.
c. Attendance: Excellent -never a problem
D. Responsibilities: adequate
E. Activities : normal
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the
effectiveness of the committee.
In order for the committee to function effectively, we need the continued presence of Sharon
Bland from the VCAA's office. Ms. Bland works with the units to ensure that their proposals are
complete and in order before the committee meets. Many units have expressed their gratitude
to the committee for her fine work in this area, as it frequently means mistakes or lack of
documentation have been caught beforehand, thus allowing them to avoid delays in approval.
Ms. Bland works to insure the catalog is in compliance with University system, ECU and SACS
regulation. She also painstakingly proofs the catalog copy to make certain that errors in
orthography, page numbers and other such details do not make it into the catalog. The
committee greatly appreciates her hard work, as it saves an enormous amount of time at
meetings and makes the process go more smoothly. Her work also allows the committee to
concentrate on the academic merit of the proposal and not on procedure and form. We have
been assured by the Committee on Committees, rewriting charges, that her presence will.
9. Does the Committee's organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the
date set this year? ____yes __x _no