EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2003 – 2004 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: University Curriculum Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
· Ellen Arnold
· Cheryl Estes
· Ron Graziani [catalog secretary]
· Tim Hudson [chair]
· Linda Kean
· Javier Lorenzo
· Ron Mitchelson
· Shannon O’Donnell [student representative]
· Rita Reaves
· Elizabeth Smith
· Jim Smith
· Jim Toppen
[Note: Diane Coltraine attended all meetings in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, & Mar as a guest]
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
· 11 Sept 2003 [organizational meeting – no regular business]
· 25 Sept 2003
· 09 Oct 2003
· 23 Oct 2003
· 13 Nov 2003
· 11 Dec 2003
· 22 Jan 2004
· 12 Feb 2004
· 26 Feb 2004
· 11 Mar 2004
· 25 Mar 2004
· 08 Apr 2004 [approval of annual report – no regular business]
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
None established. However, various members carried out committee work per request of committee chair.
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Approved numerous curricular changes from every college/school at ECU, including a new BS in Engineering and substantive revisions to many degrees offered within the new College of Technology and Computer Science.
· Upon request of the Faculty Chair, committee studied the feasibility of moving towards having the online catalog as the official ECU catalog. After discussions in a series of meetings, committee compiled a report to the Faculty Senate in January that was subsequently approved by the Faculty Senate.
· Revised the course proposal forms, separating the instructions into individual documents. Also formulated a signature form. All forms approved by the committee and to be considered by the Faculty Senate at their meeting of 20 April 2004.
· Resolved the status of the MATH/MATE courses in question from the 2002 – 2003 year for the 2004 – 2005 catalog. Committee resolution approved by Faculty Senate on 30 Mar 2004.
· Clarified UCC submission procedures on the Faculty Senate website.
· With approval of the Faculty Chair and the Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the UCC asked the deans for a person in each college/school to act as a liaison between units proposing curricula changes and the UCC. Plans underway to establish such a network and to hold informational seminars beginning this summer.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
Date of Report to FS Business Presented FS Resolution #
10/07/2003 minutes of 9/25/03 03 – 42
11/11/2003 minutes of 10/9/03 03 – 46
minutes of 10/23/03
12/09/2003 minutes of 11/13/03 03 – 56
2/24/2004 minutes of 12/11/03 04 – 01
minutes of 1/22/04
UCC report concerning ‘official’ catalog 04 – 02
3/30/2004 minutes of 2/12/04 04 – xx
minutes of 2/26/04
4/20/2004 minutes of 3/11/04 [to be presented]
minutes of 3/25/04
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· Finally determine the status of the MATE/MATH courses cross-listed for the 2002 – 2003, 2003 – 2004, and 2004 – 2005 academic years. MATE has promised to submit new course proposals to the UCC at our first business meeting of next year.
· Determine requirements for Undergraduate Certificates. We have published criteria for graduate certificates, but none exist for undergraduate ones.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: adequate
B. Personnel: exceptional – all members were conscientious and dedicated to working in the best interests of the university
C. Attendance: all members were prompt in attendance and all attended most meetings; only absences were due to legitimate conflicts
D. Responsibilities: extreme; this is a very busy and demanding committee on which to serve; our revision of the submission forms and website instructions will hopefully smooth the process for next year
E. Activities: normal
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the
effectiveness of the committee.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?