University Curriculum Committee
1997-1998 ANNUAL REPORT
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Ex-officio member with vote: Don Sexauer, Chair of the
Faculty or Linda Wolfe, his representative; Ex-officio
members without vote: the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor
for Academic Affairs or Caroline Ayers, his representative;
Regular members: Ron Graziani, Thomas Huener, Jo Ann
Jones, Bob Joyner, Dale Knickerbocker, Greg Lapicki,
Tijjani Mohammed, Evelyn Powers, James O. Smith, Carol
Techman and John Whitehead; student member: John
2. Meeting Dates (include members absent).
10 September 1997
24 September 1997
23 October 1997
13 November 1997
12 February 1998
26 February 1998
12 March 1998
26 March 1998
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include
progress and/or completion of work).
Subcommittee to redesign course proposal form--Caroline
Ayers, Linda Wolfe & John Whitehead.
Subcommittee to plan for implementation of electronic
submission Jim Smith, Tom Huener, Greg Lapinski & Dale
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as
addressed through committee goals. Include
recommendations made to agencies other than the Faculty
Senate as well as the Faculty Senate.
A. New majors/concentrations or options/minors: 0/0/0
B. Change degree requirements: majors/concentrations or
C. Delete majors/concentrations or options/minors: 0/1/1
D. New courses: 60
E. Course revisions: 77
F. Delete courses: 24
G. Remove courses from the curriculum bank: 24
H. Place courses in the curriculum bank: 73
I. Requests for general education credit: 3
J. Revise catalog descriptive copy: 7
K. Complete degree program revision[Spanish]: 1
L. Request authorization to plan -new
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and
Resolutions: 97-32; 97-39; 97-32; 98-8; 98-12; 98-21
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority
1. Implement a plan for electronic submission of
2. Revise course proposal form to include semester
offered and should this course carry general education
3. School of Social Work needs to resolve the listing of
ECON 1000 as a cognate as this course has been banked.
4. School of Human Environmental Sciences has two
minors[ nutrition & hospitality management] that exceed 30
5. Some teacher education programs do not list all of
the cognates that are required by the state as listed on page
54 of the 1997-1998 catalog. These programs are art,
dance, English, exercise and sport science, French,
German, Spanish, history, health, mathematics, music,
special education and theatre.
6. Philosophy and Physics are deficient in hours in the
academic concentration [ for education degrees-- listed on
page 219 of the 1997-1998 catalog] due to the banking of
7. Examine policy for unbanking of courses.
8. Study issue of approval procedure for 5000 level
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that
hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: adequate
B. Personnel: Excellent, a hard working group who
readily accepted their responsibility.
C. Attendance: Excellent, only absences were due to
family emergencies and prior commitments
D. Responsibilities: The one year catalog has helped to
even out the work load of the committee.
E. Activities: The laptop computer facilitated the work of
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or
Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the
1. The Faculty Senate should encourage units to participate
in the workshops next year.
2. The committee wishes to remind units that it is their
responsibility to ensure that each committee member
receives a copy of all items brought before the committee.
With regard to items that impact other units letters of
support from the faculty or notification of the unit from
affected programs need to accompany the material sent to
the committee chair and to the rep of the vcaa.
3. To insure that catalog copy is speedily available to the
Faculty Senate for their approval that all changes will be
also submitted electronically and any changes resulting from
the meeting will be accomplished at the meeting.
4. Secure name plates for use during committee meetings.
9. Does the Committee's organizational meeting next
year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
_______ yes _____X_____no