EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2004-2005 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Libraries Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members): Salman Abdulali, Kevin Gross, Michael Duffy, Thomas Douglass, Marianna Walker (Chair), James Wirth, Susan DelVecchio, Dorothy Spencer, Dori Finley, Henry Ferrell, Maggie O’Neill, Carroll Varner
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*)
September 15, 2004 – Abdulali, DelVecchio, Douglass, Duffy, Ferrell, Finley, Gross, O’Neill, Spencer, Varner, Walker, Wirth
October 20, 2004 - Abdulali, DelVecchio, Douglass, Duffy, Ferrell, Finley, Gross O’Neill, Spencer, Walker
January 19, 2005 – Abdulali, DelVecchio, Douglass, Duffy, Ferrell, Finley, Gross, Spencer, Walker, Wirth.
February 16, 2005 – Abdulali, DelVecchio, Douglass, Ferrell, Finley, Spencer, Varner, Walker, Wirth
2005 –Abdulali, DelVecchio, Douglass, Duffy, Finley, Gross, Walker, Wirth
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
a. Annual review of library budget.
b. Promoted new information to faculty about new library electronic resources.
c. Defined the role of the committee in response to the changing nature of library resources.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
March 22, 2005 – Marianna Walker, Chair, presented the libraries budget to the Faculty Sentate.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
a. Knowledge and awareness of new information technology.
b. Reworking the Libraries Committee Draft Resolution.
c. Status of bibliographic software.
d. Collection development review.
e. Status of Libqual.
f. Libraries Committee involvement with the search for the new Director of Joyner Library.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Absence of library director (Joyner) at crucial meetings. Lack of information in library budget (Joyner).
B. Personnel: No student representation on a consistent basis. Lack of a Chancellor representative as an Ex-Officio with vote
(dual-role situation with Varner serving as Chancellor representative and Director of Joyner Library).
C. Attendance: Good attendance, but lack of consistent attendance by Joyner director.
D. Responsibilities: Committee members did not have a good sense of member role and priority of responsibilities considering the personnel and budget issues that surfaced in Joyner Library in Spring 2005.
E. Activities: Monitoring library annual budget raised questions about library activities. Due to new technology of library science and DE, difficult to define long range goals and monitor short-range practices of three libraries (i.e. information access, collections development).
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the
effectiveness of the committee.
a. Add a member to the committee to represent library staff.
b. Adopt resolution regarding the committee’s oversight role of the campus libraries.
c. Recommendation that the committee have involvement and representation in the search process for a new library director of Joyner Library.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? NO
Marianna Walker, Chairperson
Thomas Douglas, Secretary