EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2005-2006 Academic Year COMMITTEE: Faculty Welfare
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
William Sugar, Chair (Education)
David Lawrence, Vice Chair (Geology)
Susan McGhee, Secretary (Health & Human Performance)
Dawn Clark (Theatre & Dance)
Don Holbert (Allied Health Sciences)
Melissa Nasea (Health Sciences Library)
Jan Salstrom (Medicine)
John Toller (Rep. of Chancellor – Human Resources)
Paul Kauffman (Rep. of Provost – Technology & Computer Science)
John Core (Rep. of VC for Health Sciences – Nursing)
David Pravica (Rep. of Chair of the Faculty – Math)
Jan Tovey (Faculty Senator – English)
Cole Jones (Rep. of Student Government Association)
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
D. Clark, D. Holbert, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Core, D. Muller C. Rigsby, J. Toller, J. Tovey, Provost Smith, Vice Chancellor Lewis
D. Clark, D. Holbert, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, D. Pravica, J. Toller, J. Tovey
D. Clark, D. Holbert, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Toller, W. Beamer (for C. Jones, Student Government)
D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Core, D. Pravica, J. Tovey
D. Clark, D. Holbert, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, J. Salstrom J. Toller, J. Tovey
D. Clark, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Toller
D. Holbert, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Toller
March 9, 2006
D. Clark, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, W. Sugar, J. Tovey
April 13, 2006
D. Clark, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, W. Sugar, B. Smith (for J. Toller)
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
· Identification of Health insurance priorities
· Health insurance resolution (#06-03) requesting President Bowles to make alternative health coverage a top priority
· Continuing investigation of measures of salary inequity amongst professorial ranks
· Continuing investigation of existing faculty mentoring programs and practices within the university and at other universities
10th Street Safety – Dawn Clark, Sub-committee chair
· Formation of 10th Street Safety committee with representatives from…
· 10th Street safety committee report presented at Faculty Senate meeting, April 18, 2006. Report included short-term and long-term solutions to remedy this safety issue.
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Participation in Ad-Hoc Faculty Serious Illness review committee
· Formation of 10th St. Safety subcommittee and completion of final report
· Participation on Task force on Fixed-term faculty
· Participation on New faculty orientation task force
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
· Faculty manual changes with regards to phased retirement policy (#05-51) and University Employee Assistance Program (#05-50) – December 6, 2005
· 10th Street safety intial report – December 6, 2005
· Health insurance resolution (#06-03) – January 31, 2006
· 10th Street safety final report – April 18, 2006
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· Faculty salary inequities
· Faculty benefits comparable to ECU’s peer institutions
· Faculty benefits comparable to other UNC institutions
· Faculty mentoring
· New faculty orientation
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
• Sub-committees appear to be an effective way of completing committee’s work and activities.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
• Yes If yes, when do you prefer: Thursday, August 24, 2006
Signed: Chairperson ________________________________ Secretary ________________________________
The completed, typed report, including both the Chair and Secretary's signatures, is due in the Faculty Senate office (140 Rawl Annex) by May 5, 2006.