ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2006-2007 Academic Year
DUE: May 1, 2007
COMMITTEE: Educational Policies and Planning
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
REGULAR MEMBERS (with vote)
Rose Allen, Dale Knickerbocker (Chair), Leslie Pagliari (Vice Chair), David Weismiller, Jim Mitchell, Linda Kean, Sandra Warren (Secretary)
Darryl Davis, Linner
Griffin, George Kasperek, Mark Taggart, Jan Tovey,
Sharon Bland of Academic Program Development also attended all meetings
at the Chair’s request.
2. Meeting Dates
(include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
9-8-06, 10-27-06, 11-10-06, 12-8-06, 2-9-07, 3-9-07, 4-13-07
A quorum was always met, and all members were present at all meetings except when excused for scheduling conflicts.
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any
University agency other than the
The following recommendations for approval were made to the Chancellor:
Adult Nurse Practitioner Concentration
Adult Nurse Practitioner Post Master’s Certificate
Discontinuation of Sign Language minor and BS Physician Assistant programs
New concentration, Management of Recreation Facilities and Services (MRFS), in Recreation and Leisure Studies (RCLS)
HSIM (Health Services and Information Management) to establish a minor in Health Informatics
Discontinue Masters in Physical Therapy
EXSS (Exercise and Sports Science) to change Master of Arts (MA) designation for the exercise and sport science program to a Master of Science (MS)
New concentration in Quality Systems, Masters of Science in Technology Systems
New certificate program in Lean Six Sigma, Masters of Science in Technology Systems
Change name of the Manufacturing concentration to Manufacturing Systems.
New concentration in biomedical engineering for the BS Engineering, Department of Engineering
Transfer the M.S. in Software Engineering from the Department of Technology Systems to the Department of Computer Science
Dept. of Business, Career, and Technical Education to offer BS degree in Business Education as DE.
Change name of Department of Business, Career, and Technical Education to the Department of Business and Information Technologies Education
Department of Mathematics for new concentration in MA degree: Mathematics in the Community College
Change the name of the PhD in Biochemistry to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Revised Faculty Manual Part V sent to Faculty Governance Committee., and revised it accordingly. Shared this information with Academic Standards and the University Curriculum Committee. The UCC suggested a minor change which will be considered next fall, when the proposed language will also be put to the Senate.
Presented new language requested by the Graduate School Administrative Committee for our charge concerning voting rights of membership and the relationship between the two committees to the Committee on Committees, which recommended we reconsider. After further consideration, EPPC decided not to pursue the change.
5. Reports to the
The committee chair reported to the Faculty Senate on the dates indicated, for information only, its recommendations to the Chancellor to approve the following:
1) Request Authorization to Plan PhD in Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, 2) Notice of Intent to Plan Doctorate of Audiology degree (AuD.) program, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, School of Allied Health Sciences, 3) Request for Authorization to Establish MS in Athletic Training, Department of Health Education and Promotion, College of Health and Human Performance, 4) Request to change the name of minor in “Industrial Supervision” to “Industrial Technology Management”, Department of Technology Systems 5) new Graduate Certificate program in Biofeedback, Department of Recreation Leisure Studies, College of Health and Human Performance, 6) new Graduate Certificate program in Autism, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, College of Education, 7) Request to discontinue the graduate certificate, Social Work Practice with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, School of Allied Health Sciences, and 8) Request to discontinue B.S. Degree in Occupational Therapy, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Allied Health Sciences.
1) new Adult Nurse Practitioner Concentration,
1) new concentration in
Quality Systems, Master’s of Science in Technology Systems, and a request for a
new certificate program in Lean Six Sigma, Master’s of Science in Technology
Systems (both in College of Technology and Computer Science). 2) change name of the Manufacturing
concentration to Manufacturing Systems (
for Authorization to Establish a New Distance Education Degree Program in Business Education with a concentration in
1) names changes for the Department of Business and Information Technologies Education and BSBA in Management Information Systems 2)new concentration in “Mathematics in the Community College” for the MA in Mathematics 3) authorization to establish a post Master’s certificate for Clinical Nurse Specialists 4) BA in African and African American Studies and minor in African and African American Studies.
New concentration in biomedical engineering for the BS Engineering, Department of Engineering, College of Technology and Computer Science
1) new concentration Management of Recreation Facilities and Services (MRFS) School of Health and Human Performance, Recreation and Leisure Studies (RCLS) 2) Master of Arts (MA) designation be changed to a Master of Science (MS) degree, School of Health and Human Performance, Exercise and Sports Science (EXSS) 3) establish a health informatics minor, School of Allied Health Sciences, Health Services and Information Management (HSIM) 4) change name of the PhD in Biochemistry to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Brody School of Medicine
Health and Human Performance: Discontinue Masters in Physical Therapy
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
Getting revisions to FM Part V out of Faculty Governance and to Senate.
Revise Readiness Assessment document to include expected funding sources and documentation
Revise following language in Part V E of the Faculty Manual: “Undergraduate programs and courses (numbered 4999 and below) require approval by the following: code unit curriculum committee and voting faculty, the college or school curriculum committee (if the college or school is not the code unit and has a curriculum committee) [. . .]”
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: No change needed.
B. Personnel: Excellent.
C. Attendance: Good
D. Responsibilities: Appropriate
E. Activities: Appropriate
to the Chair of the Faculty and/or
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
At this point, there is no reason to do so.
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson ________________________________
Please forward the completed annual report to the Faculty Senate office at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, May 1, 2006. Thank you.