ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2006-2007 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Faculty Welfare
1. Membership (include ex-officio members). Melissa Nasea, David Lawrence, Jan Salstrom, Dawn Clark, Susan McGhee, Bruce Southard, Anthony Dralle Ex- Officio: John Toller, Linda Ingalls, Susan Simpson, Ed Stellwag, Brent Henze, and Cole Jones
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
Aug. 24, 2006: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, B. Southard, M. Taggart, L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, J. Toller, Vice Chancellor Mageean
Sept. 14, 2006: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D. Lawrence, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, B. Southard B. Henze, L. Ingalls, C. Jones, J. Toller
Oct. 12, 2006: A. Dralle, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, J. Salstrom,
Nov. 9, 2006: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D. Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, B. Southard, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, E. Stellway, J. Toller
Dec. 24, 2006: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D.Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, B. Southard, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, J. Toller
Jan. 11, 2007: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D. Lawrence,
L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, E. Stellway, J. Toller
Feb. 8, 2007: D. Clark, A. Dralle, D.Lawrence, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, J. Salstrom, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, E. Stellway, J. Toller, K. Bonatz
March 6 M. Nasea, D. Lawrence, J. Salstrom, D. Clark, S. McGhee, B. Southard, A. Dralle, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, B. Koch, and J. Tawney
April 12 A. Dralle, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, B. Southard, S. Simpson
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
a. Serious illness/disability policy
b. Benefits for emeritus faculty
c.Faculty retirement vesting policy
d. Faculty dining facility/club
e. New faculty orientation
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
February 20, 2007: Resolution #07-04
April 17, 2007: Retired faculty parking privileges: Resolution #07-15
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
a. Emeritus Faculty university software privilege
b. Parking status for retired faculty
d. Benefits comparisons-peer and UNC institutions
e. Faculty salary/inequity
f. Partner hire policy
g. Reserved space parking
h. Faculty dining privileges/Faculty club
i. Draft faculty applicant verification of continued interest and fitness
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
B. Personnel: It has been helpful to have a representative from the Office of the Provost attending the committee as well as a representative of the University Attorney’s Office and we would like that to continue.
C. Attendance: High
D. Responsibilities: Shared
E. Activities: Varied
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
See 7.B. above
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
The committee found it useful to have their first meeting very early in the semester.
If yes, when do you prefer:___________
Signed: Chairperson: David Lawrence
Secretary: Susan McGhee