EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2006-2007 Academic Year
DUE: May 1, 2007
1. Membership (include ex-officio members). Salman Abdulali , Lawrence Boyer, Lilian Burke, Katherine Cable, Juan Daneri , Darryl Davis, Thomas Douglass, Michael Duffy, Cole Jones, Elmer Poe, Dorothy Spencer, Marianna Walker, Beth Winstead, James Wirth
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
September 20, 2006 - Salman Abdulali , Kathy Cable, Jeff Coghill (representing
Dorothy Spencer), Juan Daneri , Darryl Davis, Michael Duffy, Marianna Walker,
October 18, 2006 - Salman Abdulali , Larry Boyer, Kathy Cable, Juan Daneri,
Michael Duffy, Elmer Poe, Dorothy Spencer, Marianna Walker, Beth Winstead,
November 15, 2006 - Larry Boyer, , Lillian Burke, Kathy Cable, Juan Daneri,
Tom Douglass, Michael Duffy, Ginny Sconiers (for Elmer Poe), Dottie Spencer,
Marianna Walker, Beth Winstead, James Wirth
January 17, 2007 - Salman Abdulali, Larry Boyer, Kathy Cable, Sharon Collins
(for Elmer Poe), Juan Daneri, Michael Duffy, Dottie Spencer Marianna Walker
February 21, 2007 - Salman Abdulali , Larry Boyer, Jeff Coghill (for Dottie
Spencer), Juan Daneri , Michael Duffy, Ginny Sconiers (for Elmer Poe),Marianna
Walker, Beth Winstead, James Wirth
March 21, 2007 - Salman Abdulali , Larry Boyer, Kathy Cable, Thomas Douglas,
Michael Duffy, , Dottie Spencer, Marianna Walker, Beth Winstead
April 11, 2007 - Salman Abdulali, Thomas Douglas, Juan Daneri, Michael Duffy,
Dottie Spencer, Marianna Walker, Beth Winstead, James Wirth
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). Not applicable
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Better understanding of the role of information technology and digital archives in the present library system and University environment
· Report on the uses, costs and procedures of document delivery and interlibrary loan
· Announcement of special events held at Joyner and Laupus Libraries
· Report on task-force initiative in the reorganization of the library system
· Library administrations share information with the libraries committee on the different parts of the library system budgets for 2006-2007.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (Include dates and resolution numbers)
April 17, 2007 – Marianna Walker
presented the University libraries budgets for 2006-2007 including ALS Services, Laupus
Library, and Virtual Library. She also discussed the Institutional Repository
and Rising Costs of Electronic Journals/Databases.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· Inviting a member of the Division of Research and Graduate Studies at ECU to attend a Libraries Committee meeting
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: The committee was enhanced by the presence of the new ALS Director, Dr. Larry Boyer, who regularly attended the committee meetings. It
was apparent that Dr. Spencer and Dr. Boyer worked collaboratively on library goals and in presenting information to the committee. During this year, the reports to the committee, from the library directors, were outstanding which served to keep the committee up to date on library activities and needs.
B. Personnel: The committee was well representative of the university faculty and divisions, administration, and library personnel.
C. Attendance: Committee attendance was outstanding; however, the student representative never attended a meeting.
D. Responsibilities: The committee continues to function in its advisory role to the libraries and works to keep the faculty informed of the changing face of the libraries, and how the library works to serve the university community.
E. Activities: For the past three years, the committee (Chair) has presented the libraries budgets to the faculty senate. No questions have been asked, at
each meeting and there has not been a request to present the budget from the faculty senate. Therefore, the committee has voted to discontinue presentation of the library budget to the faculty senate, annually, unless requested by the faculty senate.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
None for this academic year
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson ________________________________