ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
Please forward the completed annual report to the Faculty Senate office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 1, 2007. Thank you.
2006-2007 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Student Scholarships, Fellowships, and Financial Aid
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Jill Matarelli Carlson Theatre and Dance
Brent Henze English
Monica Hough Allied Health Sciences
Ken MacLeod Business
Anthony Overton Biology
Kindal Shores Health and Human Perf
Yong Wang Geography
Ex-officio members (with vote)
Victoria Ogden Rep. of Chancellor –
Financial Aid Services
Shelly Myers Rep. of Provost – Academic Advising
Mark Richardson Rep. of Chair of the Faculty – Music
Wayne Sampson Rep of SGA
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
April 23, 2007: [Carlson, Henze, Richardson, Wang]
March 26, 2007: meeting cancelled
February 26, 2007: Carlson,
January 22, 2007: meeting cancelled
November 27, 2006: Carlson, Henze, MacLeod, Overton
October 23, 2006: Carlson, Henze, Ogden, Wang
September 25, 2006: Carlson,
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
members Jill Matarelli Carlson, Shelly Myers,
The committee reviewed the sections within the Undergraduate Catalog and the Graduate Catalog that discuss scholarships and financial aid. The committee forwarded recommended editorial changes in these catalogs to the office of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Programs.
committee has prepared to choose the recipients of the Lillian Jenkins, Probey, Andrews,
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
a. The Faculty Senate passed resolution #03-61 (on Aid to Students in Poverty) in December of 2003. The resolution requests that $5 million of the Centennial Capital Campaign be held in endowment, the earnings to be used as grant aid for economically disadvantaged ECU students. This committee should continue to monitor the success of the Centennial Capital Campaign in collecting monies that can be used to aid students in poverty, and to participate as needed in development of criteria for awarding and dispersing such grant aid.
b. To continue to participate in Scholarship Weekend.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Appears appropriate
B. Personnel: Committee worked well together
C. Attendance: A quorum was present to conduct business at all but one meeting. Schedule conflicts did, however, made it difficult for some members to attend meetings. However, there was no obvious time when all committee members could meet.
D. Responsibilities: The committee fulfilled its responsibilities, with the exception of choosing scholarship recipients, which it is prepared to do once the necessary data are available.
E. Activities: The committee’s workload is relatively low; the committee’s accomplishments were appropriate to its charge.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson: Brent Henze
Secretary: Jill Matarelli Carlson