ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2007-2008 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Regular Members: Salman Abdulali (Chair), Lilian Burke (resigned 2008-02-06), Juan Daneri, Thomas Douglass (Vice-chair), John Heilmann, Patrick Valentine (Secretary), James Wirth
Ex-Officio Members: Larry Boyer (Director of Academic Library Services and Representative of Chancellor), , Kathy Cable (Faculty Senator), Dorothy Spencer (Director of Health Sciences Library), Beth Winstead (Representative of Chair of the Faculty)
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*). * and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
September 19, 2007: Salman Abdulali, Lillian Burke, Juan Daneri, Tom Douglass, John Heilmann, Patrick Valentine, Kathy Cable, Beth Winstead, Jeff Coghill (for Dorothy Spencer)
October 17, 2007: Salman Abdulali, Jim Wirth, Juan Daneri, Patrick Valentine, Kathy Cable, Dorothy Spencer, Larry Boyer, Beth Winstead
January 16, 2008: Salman Abdulali, Tom Douglass, Jim Wirth, Juan Daneri, John Heilman, Patrick Valentine, Beth Winstead, Jeff Coghill (for Dorothy Spencer), Jan Lewis (for Larry Boyer)
February 20, 2008: Salman Abdulali, Tom Douglass, Jim Wirth, Juan Daneri, John Heilman, Patrick Valentine, Beth Winstead, Kathy Cable, Dorothy Spencer, Larry Boyer
March 19, 2008: Salman Abdulali, Tom Douglass, Jim Wirth, Juan Daneri, John Heilmann, Patrick Valentine, Larry Boyer, Jeff Coghill (for Dorothy Spencer)
April 16, 2008: Salman Abdulali, Jim Wirth, Juan Daneri, Patrick Valentine, Beth Winstead, Kathy Cable, Dorothy Spencer, Larry Boyer
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None.
4. Accomplishments during the year,
especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any
University agency other than the
The committee received a report from the Libraries on trends in the Libraries budget. The committee discussed library policies and trends related to Circulation Policies, Collection Development Policies and Special Collections. The committee discussed the proposed Institutional Repository with the library administrators.
5. Reports to the
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order). None.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Could be clearer (see item 8 below).
B. Personnel: Good
C. Attendance: Good
D. Responsibilities: See comments on Charge.
E. Activities: Library staff were very helpful in acting as resource persons to the Committee. Special thanks to Lisa Barricella, Jeff Coghill, Jan Lewis and Maury York for their participation in Committee meetings.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No.
Chairperson: Salman Abdulali
Secretary: Patrick Valentine