ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2008-2009 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
REGULAR MEMBERS (with vote)
Punam Madhok Art and Design
Donna Kain English
Johna Faulconer (Vice Chair) Education
Kathleen Row Psychology
Linda Teel (Secretary) Academic Library Services
Shanan Gibson (Chair) Business
Terry Jones Allied Health Sciences
Angela Anderson Rep. of Chancellor—Registrar
Angela Anderson Rep. of Provost—Registrar
Steve Cerutti Rep. of Chair of the Faculty—Foreign
Rodney Roberts Faculty Senator—Philosophy
Justin Perry Rep. of SGA
John Crammer Special Resource to the Chair
Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
September 16, 2008
Punam Madhok, Johna Faulconer, Donna Kain, John Crammer, Linda Teel, Terry Jones, Steve Cerutti, Mary Farwell
October 15, 2008
Punam Madhok, Linda Teel, Shana Gibson, Terry Jones, Steve Cerutti, Rodney
Roberts, Justin Perry
November 18, 2008
Punam Madhok, Donna Kain, Johna Faulconer, Kathleen Row, Linda Teel, Shana Gibson, Terry Jones, Angela Anderson, Steve Cerutti, Rodney Roberts, Justin Perry, John Crammer
January 14, 2009
Punam Madhok, Donna Kain, Johna Faulconer, Kathleen Row, Linda Teel, Shana Gibson, Terry Jones, Amy Bissette (representing Angela Anderson), Rodney Roberts, John Crammer
February 11, 2009
Punam Madhok, Donna Kain, Johna Faulconer, Kathleen Row, Shanan Gibson, Terry Jones, Rodney Roberts, John Crammer
April 1, 2009
Punam Madhok, Donna Kain, Kathleen Row, Linda Teel, Shana Gibson, Terry Jones, Angela Anderson, Steve Cerutti, Rodney Roberts
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Considered and revised the deadline for submission of appeals based on a request from the Student Academic Appellate Committee.
· Considered and revised the date and wording regarding applying the late payment fee based on a request from Student Financial Services.
· Reviewed the ECU drop dates based on the relevancy to other UNC schools referring this subject to Linda Wolfe for consideration by the Academic Standards Committee.
· Reviewed the Final Exam schedule for common exams schedule to consider overlapping exam schedules. Based on data collection which indicated very limited potential conflicts, it was recommended that the common exam schedule remain as it is.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
· Approved Summer 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011 calendars (3-31-09)
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· Continue communication and coordination with Pitt Community College and Pitt County Schools
· Continue comparing ECU calendar with calendars at other UNC schools.
· Continue feasibility development of faculty information calendar.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: No problems
B. Personnel: The committee worked well together. It was beneficial to have the Faculty Senator representative position filled.
C. Attendance: Faculty teaching schedules limit choices of when the committee can meet; however, there were no meetings at which we lacked a quorum.
D. Responsibilities: No problems
E. Activities: The committee created a calendar for the 2010-2011 academic year,
as is its charge.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee. None
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson ________________________________