ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2008-2009 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Faculty Welfare
1. Membership (include ex-officio members). Bruce Southard, Susan McGhee, Melissa Nasea, Archana Hegde, John Reisch, Katrina DuBose, Annette Peery
Ex- Officio: John Toller, Linda Ingalls, Susan Simpson, Alexandra Shlapentokh, Brent Henze, Caitlin Gold
2. Meeting Dates (include
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
Sept. 11, 2008: K. DuBose, A. Hegde, M. Nasea, A. Peery, J. Reisch, B. Southard, C. Gold, L. Ingalls, J. Toller, A. Shlapentokh, S. Simpson; Others: J. Tovey
Oct. 9, 2008: K. DuBose, A. Hegde, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, A. Peery, B. Southard, C. Gold, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, J. Toller
Nov. 13, 2008: K. DuBose, S. McGhee, A. Peery, J. Reisch, B. Southard, C. Gold, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, A. Shlapentokh, S. Simpson, J. Toller; Others: L. Lee
Dec. 11, 2008: K. DuBose, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, A. Peery, J. Reisch, B. Southard, B. Henze, A. Shlapentokh, J. Toller; Others; B. Koch
Feb. 12, 2009: K. DuBose, A. Hegde, M. Nasea, B. Southard, L. Ingalls, S. Simpson, J. Toller,
March 19, 2009: A. Hegde, S. McGhee, M. Nasea, A. Peery, J. Reisch, B. Southard, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, A. Shlapentokh, J. Toller; Others: B. Koch, E. Johnston, J. Tawney
April 19, 2009: K. DuBose, M. Nasea, J. Reisch, B. Southard, B. Henze, L. Ingalls, A. Shlapentokh, J. Toller; Others: E. Seeman
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
Healthcare Plan/Benefits Satisfaction Survey: Questionnaire results posted online.
Mentoring: Subcommittee met with D. Muller, Director of Center for Faculty Excellence and compiled academic units’ mentoring policies.
during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any
University agency other than the
Endorsement of letter (9/11/2008) to Chancellor Ballard supporting establishment of campus childcare facility.
Recommendation to Parking and Transportation Committee (3/19/2009) that reserved parking spaces be designated for residence hall advisors.
5. Reports to the
January 27, 2009; #09-03: Revision to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI, Section II, relating to hospitalization insurance.
February 24, 2009; #09-14: Recommendation that Parking and Transportation Committee and university administration reconsider decision to raise parking fees for the coming two years.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
Faculty salary study: c.f.
3. Policy Manual/ Faculty Manual Changes (e.g. Supplemental Pay; Health Insurance)
4. Procedures for faculty taking/auditing courses
5. Benefits comparisons: Peer and UNC institutions
6. Parking status for retired faculty
7. Faculty dining privileges/Faculty club
8. Campus childcare facility
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Specified in Faculty Manual
B. Personnel: It has been helpful to have a representative from the Office of the Provost attending the committee; we would like that representation to continue and once again request that a representative of the university attorney’s office also attend meetings—a request that was not granted this year much to the detriment of the committee’s work.
C. Attendance: Excellent
D. Responsibilities: Shared
E. Activities: Varied
to the Chair of the Faculty and/or
Faculty officers and
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Bruce Southard, Chairperson
John Reisch, Vice-Chairperson