ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2008-2009 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Student Academic Appellate Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Mike Brown Mario Rey Cindy Putnam-Evans
Kenneth Ferguson Liz Fogarty Jeni Parker
Robert Kulesher Johnathan Morris Ashley Perkinson
Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
September 3, 2008: Brown, Putnam-Evans,
October 1, 2008: Brown,
November 5, 2008: Brown,
December 3, 2008: Brown,
January 5, 2009: Brown,
February 4, 2009: Brown,
March 4, 2009: Brown,
April 1, 2009: Brown,
May 6, 2009 (Has not occurred yet)
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Established regular meetings with the dean of students to refer students needing assistance.
· Worked with Center for Academic Services in the Registrar’s Office to develop improved language on appeals in undergraduate catalog.
· Made a recommendation to Admissions and Retention Committee on the proposed new grade appeal process.
· Began to hear readmission appeals from students who were not re-admitted.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Met the areas of responsibility under our charge.
B. Personnel: Highly enthusiastic membership and great continued support from the Center for Academic Services.
C. Attendance: Generally been very good. Outstanding attendance from student representative this year.
D. Responsibilities: Changes in readmission policies added significantly to the work load of the committee.
E. Activities: NA
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
· Nothing to change at this time.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________________
Signed: Chairperson ________________________________