ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2009-2010 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Calendar Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Terry Jones, Linda Teel, Shanan Gibson (chair), John Crammer (secretary), Reid Parker, Johna Faulconer, Britton Theurer (vice chair); [Ex-Officio] Angela Anderson, Sandy Triebenbacher, George Wang, Emily Litzenberger
Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
September 1, 2009: Johna Faulconer, Shanan Gibson, Terry Jones, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, Angela Anderson, Sandy Triebenbacher
October 8, 2009: Johna Faulconer, Shanan Gibson, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, John Crammer, Angela Anderson, Sandy Triebenbacher
November 5, 2009: Johna Faulconer, Shanan Gibson, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, John Crammer, Linda Teel, Amy Bissette (for Angela Anderson), Sandy Triebenbacher, Emily Litzenberger
December 8, 2009: Shanan Gibson, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, John Crammer, Linda Teel, Amy Bissette (for Angela Anderson)
January 28, 2010: Shanan Gibson, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, John Crammer, Linda Teel, Terry Jones, Angela Anderson
April 15, 2010: Shanan Gibson, Reid Parker, Britton Theurer, John Crammer, Linda Teel, Terry Jones, Johna Faulconer, Sandy Triebenbacher, George Wang
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
· Conducted survey of faculty, staff, and students concerning starting the Fall Semester a week earlier to allow more time between Fall and Spring semesters; results indicated preference to continue current start week.
· Made several changes to administrative dates in the calendar after receiving requested modifications from administrators (e.g., from the Admissions Office).
· At the request from a member of the faculty, the committee reviewed the scheduling guidelines for afternoon classes as revised in the 2001-2002 academic year.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
· Academic Calendars for Summer 2011, Fall 2011, and Spring 2012 (10-23)
· Reported results of the survey mentioned above to the March meeting of the Faculty Senate.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· In addition to the current narrative form of the calendar, create a version in the form of a visual calendar.
· Continue communication and
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: No problems
B. Personnel: The committee worked well together.
C. Attendance: Faculty teaching schedules limit choices of when the committee can meet; however, there were no meetings at which we lacked a quorum.
D. Responsibilities: No problems
E. Activities: The committee created a calendar for the 2011-2012 academic year, as is its charge.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee. None
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No.
Signed: Chairperson Shanan Gibson
Secretary John Crammer