ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2009-2010 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Educational Policies and Planning Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Regular members: Rose Allen, Margaret Bauer, Scott Gordon, James Holloway (replaced Elizabeth Hodge after the first meeting), Edson Justiniano (Chair), Dale Knickerbocker (Vice-Chair), and Janice Lewis (Secretary). Ex-officio members: Mary Glascoff, Linner Griffin, George Kasperek, Justin Perry, David Siegel, and Marianna Walker.
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
9-11-09: Allen, Bauer, Gordon, Hodge, Justiniano, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Griffin, Kasperek, Siegel, Sprague (for Walker)
9-18-09: Allen, Gordon, Holloway, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Justiniano, Glascoff, Griffin, Kasperek, Perry, Siegel, Sprague (for Walker)
10-09-09: Bauer, Gordon, Holloway, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Justiniano, Glascoff, Griffin, Siegel, Walker
11-20-09 (non-regular meeting): Gordon, Lewis, Justiniano, Glascoff, Griffin, Kasperek, Perry, Siegel, Walker
12-11-09: Allen, Bauer, Gordon, Holloway, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Justiniano, Glascoff, Griffin, Kasperek, Siegel
1-8-10: Allen, Bauer, Gordon, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Justiniano, Griffin, Kasperek, Perry, Siegel, Walker
1-22-10 (non-regular meeting): Glascoff, Holloway, Knickerbocker, Lewis, Justiniano, Griffin, Kasperek, Siegel
2-5-10 (special called meeting): Allen, Bauer, Glascoff, Gordon, Holloway, Knickerbocker, Justiniano, Lewis, Griffin, Kasperek, Siegel, Walker
3-19-10: Bauer, Glascoff, Gordon, Holloway, Justiniano, Lewis, Griffin, Kasperek
4-9-10: Allen, Glascoff, Holloway, Justiniano, Lewis, Griffin, Kasperek, Siegel
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
The committee ranked the 17 proposed new degree programs using a matrix with the following criteria: cost to ECU, academic need, value to the community, external support, duplication at other UNC institutions, and readiness. The rankings were submitted to the Academic Council on December 11, 2009.
The committee proposed substantial revisions to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part V, Academic Information, Section III, Curriculum Development.
The following recommendations for approval were made to the Chancellor:
· Request to approve a new Undergraduate Certificate in Computer Game Development, College of Technology and Computer Science
· Request to establish a new Interdisciplinary Minor in Film Studies, Department of English
· Request to realign the Doctoral Degree in Educational Leadership Higher Education Administration concentration, associated faculty, and appropriate resources from the Department of Educational Leadership to the Department of Counselor and Adult Education, College of Education
· Request to approve a new Graduate Certificate in Physical Education Clinical Supervision, College of Health and Human Performance
· Request to approve a new Sport and Exercise Psychology concentration in the MS in Exercise and Sport Science, College of Health and Human Performance
· Request to approve a new Master of Science in Security Studies, Department of Polical Science
· Request to approve a new concentration in Risk Management and Insurance in the existing BSBA in Finance, Department of Finance
· Request to approve a new concentration in Health Physics in the existing MS in Physics, Department of Physics
· Request to establish a new Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies, Harriot College of Arts & Sciences
· Request to Rename the College of Technology and Computer Science to College of Engineering and Technology. This action was suspended at the Feb. 5, 2010 meeting by a motion stating, “in response to a request from the Provost and new information from the Chancellor, the committee, suspends the name change for the College of Technology and Computer Science that was approved at the December 11, 2009 EPPC meeting.”
· Request to move the Media Production program from the School of Communication to the School of Art and Design
· Request to approve a new Graduate Certificate Online Program in Ethnic and Rural Health Disparities, Brody School of Medicine
· Reqest to change the name the degree offered by the School of Dentistry from Doctor of Dental Surgery to Doctor of Dental Medicine
· Request to change the name of the School of Dentistry to the School of Dental Medicine
· Request for a new Undergradate Certificate in Cultural Resources Management, Department of Anthropology
· Request to move forward with the Notification of Intent to Plan a new Master of Arts in Gifted Education degree, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
· Request to move forward with the Notification of Intent to Plan a new Master of Science in Network Technology, Department of Technology Systems
· Request to change the name of the Bachelor of Science degree in Health Education and Promotion to Bachelor of Science in Public Health
· Request to approve a new Graduate Certificate in Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology, Department of Geological Sciences
· Request to approve a new Graduate Certificate Program in Community Health Care Management, Department of Public Health and Department of Health Sciences and Information Management
· Request for Authorization to Plan the PhD in Epidemiology, Department of Public Health
· Request to move ahead with the Notification of Intent to Plan the Master of Science degree in Health Informatics and Information Management, Department of Health Services and Information Management
· Request to add concentrations in Sofware Design and Development and in Software Project Management and Quality Assurance to the MS in Software Engineering degree, Department of Computer Science
· Request to approve a new Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Department of English
· Request to approve the discontinuation of the Undergraduate Certificate in Spanish, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
· Request to approve a new Special Education concentration in the MA in Teaching degree, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
11-9-09: #09-39, #09-43
1-26-10: #10-02, #10-03
2-23-10: #10-11, #10-12, #10-13
3-30-10: #10-43, #10-44, #10-45
4-20-10: #10-54, #10-55, #10-56, #10-57, #10-58, #10-59, #10-60, #10-61, #10-62
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
Consider additional revisions to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part V, Academic Information, Section III, Curriculum Development, proposed by Chancellor Ballard in his March 24, 2010 memorandum to Professor Marianna Walker.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Appropriate
B. Personnel: The 2009-2010 EPPC membership went above and beyond their
“call to duty”. Throughout the year, they attended special and “non-regular”
meetings, addressed complex, sensitive issues and spent considerable time
drafting and revising documents. Their hard work is very much appreciated!
C. Attendance: All members with the exception of the student representative were
active and conscientious about attending meetings or providing a reason for
an excused absence.
D. Responsibilities: Appropriate
E. Activities: The committee recommends that materials relevant to agenda items
should be submitted to the EPPC mailing list at least one week before the next
scheduled EPPC meeting (rather than being submitted to the Chair and posted
on SharePoint) and that the agenda should be sent out on the Monday prior to
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee. None
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No
Signed: Chairperson – Edson Justiniano
Secretary – Janice Lewis