ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2009-2010 Academic Year
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Patrick Valentine, Chair; John Heilmann, Vice-Chair; David Wilson-Okamura, Secretary Margit Schmidt; Chris Riley-Tillman; Cheryl McFadden replaced Tami Tomasello (resigned); Larry Boyer; Dorothy Spencer; Hunt McKinnon; Tarek Abdel-Salam replaced Anoush Terjanian (resigned); Catherine Pittman replaced Natalie Amato (Student government)
Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
16 September 2009: Present: Larry Boyer, John Heilmann, Beth Ketterman (for Dorothy Spencer), Mark Sprague (vice chair of the faculty senate), Anoush Terjanian, Tami Tomasello, Patrick Valentine, David Wilson-Okamura
21 October 2009: Present: Larry Boyer, Jacquelyn Erdman (presenter), John Heilmann, Hunt McKinnon, Dorothy Spencer, Anoush Terjanian, Tami Tomasello, Patrick Valentine, David Wilson-Okamura, James Wirth
18 November 2009: Present: Natalie Amato, Beth Ketterman(for Dorothy Spencer), Jan Lewis (for Larry Boyer), Hunt McKinnon, Margit Schmidt, Dorothy Spencer, Tami Tomasello, Patrick Valentine, David Wilson-Okamura, James Wirth
20 January 2010: Present: John Heilmann, Patrick Valentine, Larry Boyer, Tarek Abdel-Salam, Susan Simpson (for Dorothy. Spencer), Hunt McKinnon, Margit Schmidt, Beth Ketterman(for Dorothy Spencer)
17 February 2010: Present: Tarek Abdel-Salam, Larry Boyer, Jeff Coghill (for Dorothy Spencer), John Heilmann, Cheryl McFadden, Chris Riley-Tillman, Margit Schmidt, Patrick Valentine, David Wilson-Okamura
17 March 2010: Present: Larry Boyer, Cheryl McFadden, Hunt McKinnon, Margit Schmidt, Marilyn Sheerer (provost, presenter), Dorothy Spencer, Chris Riley-Tillman, Patrick Valentine, James Wirth, David Wilson-Okamura
21 April 2010: Present: Beth Ketterman(for Dorothy Spencer), Jan Lewis (for Larry Boyer), Cheryl McFadden, Chris Riley-Tillman, Margit Schmidt, Patrick Valentine, David Wilson-Okamura, James Wirth
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
1. Completed carry-over business from last year
2. Discussed past Library budget-cuts
3. Held Faculty Forum on the role of the Libraries including budget, March 24, 2010
4. No library-related section of the faculty policy manuals needed revision
5. Discussed resources such as library study rooms for graduate students and faculty
6. Passed motion in favor of need for more information before Project STEPP should be moved into Joyner Library
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers). None
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
1. Hold a public forum every year to address library issues
2. Need for further information about move of Project STEPP to Joyner Library
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Read and understood
B. Personnel: Good participation, some change of membership due to faculty having other duties and non-attendance on the part of student appointees
C. Attendance: Good, quorum for 6 out of 7 meetings
D. Responsibilities: Understood
E. Activities: Faculty Forum on the Role of the Libraries, March 24, 2010
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
Make sure all appointees are appointed in timely fashion before first meeting and are notified of first meeting
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? No.
Signed: Chairperson, Patrick Valentine
Secretary, David Okamura