Educational Policies and Planning Committee
Minutes February 15, 2008
(Approved by Committee via email 2-18-08)
There was no quorum at this meeting, so the committee worked as a subcommittee. The subcommittee report will be presented to the full Committee for review (via email).
Call to order
Jim Mitchell called to order the regular meeting of the Educational Policies and Planning Committee at 2:00 pm on February 15, 2008 in RA 142.
Members present: Linner Griffin, George Kasperek, Jim Mitchell, Rose Allen, Sandra Warren, and Mark Taggert. John Bishop, Mike Brown, Rick Ericson, Angela Thompson, and Yong Wang were also present.
Due to the lack of a quorum, minutes of the January 11, 2008 meeting were not reviewed.
· Department of Economics’ request for a Ph.D. program (presented by Rick Ericson and John Bishop)
· Recommendations for consideration by the department:
1. Additional clarification (on page 5 of the proposal) of 1.) plans for new doctoral students to establish an external funding base and 2.) role of the Advance Council will strengthen the proposal
2. Consider including dissertation proposal as part of the candidacy exam.
· Motion to approve: Taggart; Second: Kasperek; Unanimous recommendation to approve.
· Department of History’s request for approval of a new concentration in Atlantic World history and inclusion of HIST 6930 (Seminar in Atlantic World History) (presented by Angela Thompson)
Motion to approve:
· Interdisciplinary Minor in Leadership Studies (presented by Mike Brown)
· Motion to approve: Kasperek; Second: Taggart; Unanimous recommendation to approve.
· Department of Geography request for a Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science and Technology (presented by Yong Wang)
· Recommendation for consideration by department:
1. Include provision for department review of student requests to transfer non-ECU courses into the certificate.
Motion to approve as amended
(including the department review of student requests to transfer non-ECU
courses to meet certificate requirements:
· Review of Part V. of the ECU Faculty Manual
· Due to lack of a quorum, this discussion was suspended.
· Additional Business
· EPPC involvement in Reviews of Undergraduate Academic Program Reviews
· EPPC review of role in UNC Tomorrow Report activities
1. Allen noted the need for EPPC to review the UNC Tomorrow Report as it pertains to EPPC activities. Members agreed this should be placed on the agenda for an upcoming meeting.
· March 21, 2008 EPPC Meeting
1. The next regularly scheduled EPPC meeting (March 21, 2008) is on a state holiday. Dale Knickerbocker will canvass members to identify an alternative meeting date.
Jim Mitchell adjourned the meeting at 3:40 pm.