Educational Policies and Planning Committee
Minutes April 4, 2008
Call to order
Dale Knickerbock called to order the meeting of the Educational Policies and Planning Committee at 2:00 pm on April 4, 2008 in Rawl 132.
Members present: Rose Allen, David Conde, Linner Griffin, George Kasperek, Dale Knickerbocker, Jim Mitchell, Leslie Pagliari, Sandra Warren. Marianna Walker attended for Mark Taggart.
Also present: Patch Clark, Dave Edgell, Joe Flood, Joe Fridgen, Pat Long, and John Shearin, Sharon Bland
· Members agreed to hold an additional meeting on Friday, April 18, 2008 (2:00) to complete 2007-2008 business.
· Academic Program Review – Linner Griffin provided an update on plans for Academic Program Reviews. Frameworks for review of graduate programs were developed by Deirdre Mageean, Patrick Pellicane, and Ron Newton. Mike Spurr and Sandra Warren will work with Dr. Griffin to develop frameworks for undergraduate program reviews. Program self-evaluations will begin during the 2008-2009 academic year.
· Committee on Committees update – Dale Knickerbocker provided an update on the Committee on Committees’statement on EPPC. A joint meeting of the Committee on Committees and Academic Council will occur April 16. EPPC will further address this topic during its April 18 meeting.
· Faculty Manual (Part V) – EPPC will review Part V pending results of the April 16 Committee on Committees/Academic Council joint meeting.
· New Theater concentration (presented by Patch Clark and John Shearin)
· Motion to approve: Mitchell; Second: Allen; Unanimous recommendation to approve.
· Management of Recreation and Facilities Services (MRFS) minor name change proposal to Recreation and Park Management (RPM) (presented by Joe Flood)
· Motion to approve: Allen; Second: Kasperek; Unanimous recommendation to approve.
· Notification of Intent to Plan: Master of Science in Sustainable Tourism (presented by Dave Edgell, Joe Fridgen, and Pat Long)
· Recommendation for consideration by degree developers:
1. Give careful thought to implications of an interdisciplinary program lacking an academic department home base (e.g., funding, faculty position allocation, credit of student hours generated)
· Motion to approve: Mitchell; Second: Allen; Unanimous recommendation for approval.
· Response to UNC-Tomorrow
· This topic will be discussed during the April 18 meeting.
· Discussion of EPPC Annual Report
· Dale Knickerbocker asked EPPC members to review the draft EPPC Annual Report and provide recommendations for changes prior to the April 18 meeting.
Dale Knickerbocker adjourned the meeting at 3:40 pm.