Minutes of the University Budget Committee
Meeting Date:† Thursday, September 16, 2010, at 4:00 p.m.
Regular Members Present: Scott MacGilvray, Todd Fraley, Don Palumbo, John Given, Alexandra Shlapentokh, Maureen Ellis
Ex-officio Members Present:† Joe Gaddis, Gary Vanderpool, Wanda Sandeford, Anne Jenkins (for Kevin Seitz), Jinling Huang and Dillon Godley
Guests: Marianna Walker, Lori Lee
Meeting was called to order by former Chairman Tim Gavin.
The Committee Charge was read by Marianna Walker, Chair of the Faculty, and the 2010-2011 officers were elected:
∑ Chairman: Scott MacGilvray
∑ Vice Chair: Todd Fraley
∑ Secretary: Maureen Ellis
The Committee meets on the following days at 4:00 p.m. in 142 Rawl Annex.
∑ October 21, 2010
∑ November 18, 2010
∑ December 16, 2010
∑ January 20, 2011
∑ February 17, 2011
∑ March 17, 2011
∑ April 21, 2011
Business Carried Over from 2009-2010
1. Designate a Committee member to participate with the Administrative Tuition Committee.
2. Continue review and assessment of the ECU budget
3. Continue to investigate alternative sources of funding (advancement, grants, etc.) to support the University mission.
Suggestions: generate income, targeted retention goals, enrollment growth funding, leverage facilities, name building, increased charitable giving.
4. Investigate the financial implications of providing needed services to reach GA retention goals in the face of rising enrollment.
5. Investigate long-term budgetary consequences of heavy reliance upon enrollment growth funding.
Committee Goals for 2010/2011
1. Improve retention/graduation rates, which increases funding and decreases penalties. The Committee wants to make sure they understand the role to retain students; incoming freshman to the start of the sophomore year. Focus on retaining students to be sure they graduate. Make sure that Honorís College keeps quality students.
a. Note: invite new Honorís College Dean to November meeting (Fazzone)
b. Invite John Fletcher from Enrollment Management regarding financial management.
2. Investigate alternatives to eliminating fixed-term faculty during the upcoming budget downturn.
a. Invite Provost Sheerer to come speak to Committee.
3. Consider co-sponsoring forums to faculty and staff / presentation on budget and financial concerns of University.
a. Invite Kevin Seitz to the next meeting to speak and explain where we are and review the budget process.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m. as the business of the committee had been completed.
Submitted by Maureen Ellis