East Carolina U University
Unit Code Screening Committee
February 14, 2008
a. Garris Conner, Myra Brown, Andrew Morehead, Bill Grossnickle, Carl Swanson, Bryna Coonin, Kristen Bonatz, Charles Coddington, Mark McCarthy
2. Call to order: Meeting was called to order at 3:30 in Rawl 132
3. Approval of Minutes of January 24, 2008: tabled pending distribution of minutes
4. Committee discussion regarding composition of Personnel Committee. Consensus of committee that units determine composition of Personnel Committee. Each unit code must reflect how the Personell Committee membership is determined. Dr. Conner to develop alternative language for this section of Appendix D to be reviewed by Unit Code Screening Committee and sent to Governance Committee with a recommendation to revise the wording in Appendix D.
5. Review of Code for the School of Communication. Rebecca Mumlao and Harrell Allen represented the School.
Overall, change those areas that refer to specific sections of ECU Faculty Manual to read something like “applicable sections of Appendix D” (for example lines 20, 34, 50, 57, 138, 142, 419, 467, 505, 544, 587, 580). Make sure ECU Faculty Manual is italicized.
Be consistent with indents throughout.
At the beginning of Code, write out School of Communicaion (SOC), then use SOC throughout.
Line 22 recommend hyphenate “full-time”
Line 28 recommend inset comma after i.e.
Line 36 recommend hyphenate “full-time”
Line 40 recommend inset comma after i.e.
Change to Robert’s Rules of Order: Newly Revised
Line 51 recommend hyphenate “full-time”
Lines 50-52 consider restructuring sentence
Line 70, (4) recommend put apostrophe after “students” to make plural possessive “students”
Lines 84, 87, 157, 180, 361, 411 change to “permanently tenured”
Line 87 consider change to “by a majority of the permanently tenured faculty through a vote using secret ballot”
Line 131 recommend add a comma after e.g.
Line 144 check appendix, should it be L?
Line 154 recommend add other functions of Personnel Committee per Appendix D
Line 177 recommend add other functions of Promotion Committee per Appendix D
Lines 200, 202, 217 be consistent in using phrase “when necessary”
Lines 200-225 be clear who serves as committee chair, relationship to curriculum, for GCC clarify if the chair of GCC is GRA representative
Lines 188, 201 recommend be consistent re: use of “:”
Line 222 clarify if it is “full graduate faculty member” or can teaching graduate faculty member be on committee?
Line 241 Ad hoc Committee—other committee descriptions indicate who committee reports to, does this committee have reporting parameters?
Line 262 recommend capatalize Committee
Line 333 recommend hyphenate “goal-seeking”
Line 341 recommend hyphenate “jury-reviewed_
Line 405 recommend remove your timeline and insert reference to Part XII
Line 417 recommend remove hyphens between probationary-term and permanently-tenured
Lines 475,476 recommend remove hyphen between permanently-tenured
Line 500 recommend clarifying journal articles by putting refereed before
Line 562 recommend change “their” to “its”
Line 598 recommend remove hyphen
Two substantive changes that must be addressed: missing Enabling Clause, missing Procedures for Developing Criteria for Salary Increases.
School of Communication to make these substantive changes, present to their faculty for a vote, have Dean sign, bring back to UCSC.
6. Review of Health Science Library Code, Dorothy Spencer and Melissa Nasea representing library.
Line 151, 152 change ECU Code to ECU Faculty Manual
Lines 396, 397 remove specific reference to sections of ECU Faculty Manual
Lines 298, 300 add “permanently” before tenured
Line 559 state where faculty can access the “Guidelines”
Line 837 remove reference to SACS and make Report plural
Line 831 change to Roberts Rules of Order: Newly Revised
Lines 846, 847, 858 remove “East Carolina University Code of the”
Lines 858 remove reference to Section G
Line 880 remove reference to C1
Bryna Coonin moved to accept the Health Science Library code with the recommended editorial change of breaking out the section on Criteria for Salary Increases, Bill seconded. Motion passed.
6. The committee is to review the UNC Tomorrow document to determine if the UCSC has a role in meeting the initiative. Communication will be via email. Dr. Conner will develop a report submit to the UCSC for approval and then forward to Faculty Senate.
7. Next meeting Feb 28 3:30
8. Meeting adjourned at 5:15.
Respectfully submitted: Beth P. Velde Phd, OTR/L secretary