University Environment Committee
Meeting Minutes 9/23/10
Presiding: Tim Kelley
Regular members in attendance: S. Crick, J. Buck, A. Gross-McMillan, H. McKinnon
Ex-officio members in attendance: E. Gardner, B. Glover
Guests: Dillon Godley (for SGA rep Caitlin Gold)
1. Meeting was called to order at 3:35. Ivana Alexandrova was consulted and Hunt McKinnon was inserted to represent her as regular member of the committee in her absence.
2. Tim began discussion of electing officers. Tim Kelley was unanimously elected as chair of the committee, Joyce Buck was unanimously elected as co-chair, and Amy Gross-McMillan and Eric Gardner were unanimously elected as co-secretaries.
3. Minutes from 4-22-10 and 8-26-10 were reviewed and approved with one minor edit to the 8-26-10 minutes.
4. Committee discussed “Green Get to ECU” initiative and how to edit announcement to set as monthly events. Committee decided on an approved plan to set dates for this year and forward to Lori Lee to announce each month. Dates for the “Green Get to ECU” days were set as: 10/5/10, 11/9/10, 12/7/10, 1/11/11, 2/8/11, 3/1/11, 4/5/11, and 5/3/11.
5. Hunt updated the committee on progress of plan to survey ECU faculty on curriculum pertaining to sustainability. Committee voted to support, in principle, the faculty sustainability survey. It will be disseminated through e-mail for committee to review.
6. Committee discussed and proposed goals for 2010-2011 academic year. The proposed goals were as follows:
a) Enact “Green Get to ECU” days for 10-11.
b) Initiate survey of ECU faculty on sustainability within the curriculum.
c) Analyze sustainability survey data and disseminate.
d) Support alternative transportation efforts on campus through ECU Transit and Parking and Transportation.
e) Draft a document to be presented to UNC-system president to highlight sustainability efforts (work with sustainability committee to highlight efforts).
f) Support sustainable campus resource consumption (food, water, energy, and other purchases).
g) Engage support of SGA and the student body pertaining to sustainability.
7. Meeting was adjourned at 5:00pm.