East Carolina University
(1 year terms)
of Allied Health Sciences
Faculty Senate office located in 140 Rawl Annex
328-6537 (office) 328-6122 (fax)
Faculty Senate Overview
· The total number of senators depends on the number of full-time faculty in an electoral unit as reported in December by the Office of Institutional Planning, Research, and Effectiveness to UNC General Administration.
faculty members, including fixed term faculty members, in at least their second year of appointment to the electoral unit are
eligible to serve in the
· Full-time faculty members, including fixed term faculty members, are eligible to vote for the election of Faculty Senators within an electoral unit.
· Full-time, permanently tenured faculty members are eligible to serve as Chair and Vice Chair of the Faculty.
· Full-time faculty members in at least their second year of appointment are eligible to serve as Secretary of the Faculty.
· Senators and Alternates serve two-year terms; senators may be elected to succeed themselves twice.
· Ex-officio members: Chancellor, Provost/VC Academic Affairs, VC Health Sciences, VC for Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty Assembly delegates, immediate past Chair of the Faculty, and an academic dean elected by the Administrative Council.
general faculty are the general electorate
Chancellor and the Chair of the Faculty facilitate communication that enables continuing and effective
faculty participation in all aspects of the University community.
21 Standing Academic
Continuing and Career Education
Educational Policies and Planning
Faculty Information Technology Review
Research/Creative Activity Grants
Committee on Committees
Unit Code Screening
Admission and Retention Policies
Student Academic Appellate
Student Scholarships, Fellowships, and Financial Aid
5 Standing Appellate
· Part VI: General Personnel Policies, including Frequently Asked Questions about Faculty Personnel Records
· Appendix C: Personnel Policies and Procedures including: selection and appointment of new faculty,
assignment of teaching responsibilities, evaluation of faculty, professional advancement, salary and details relating to the personnel file, which include: one master file, faculty member may examine his/her file, no anonymous source material and faculty members must be made aware of any changes in file
· Appendix D: Tenure and Promotion Policies and Procedures; definition of "voting faculty member" when relating to appointments, reappointments, promotions, and the conferral of permanent tenure
· Appendix D: Non-reappointment or Non-tenure decisions to go before the Hearing Committee
· Appendix J: Sex discrimination and other EEO complaints
· Appendix X: Sexual or racial harassment or discrimination or conflicts of interest
· Appendix Y: Other faculty grievances related to employment status and institutional relationships
· Appendix L (ECU Code): definition of "voting faculty member" when relating to appointment of administrative officials, making recommendations on unit code content, five-year unit program evaluation, quadrennial unit administrator evaluation and annual evaluation of university administrators
· Unit codes and code unit changes must be approved by Unit Code Screening Committee, the Faculty Senate and the Chancellor.
· Unit codes are available at: http://www.ecu.edu/fsonline/AcademicCommittees/uc/codes/unitcodes.htm
· Full-time faculty position and greater than one/half time position in the unit
· Regular professorial rank (instructor, assistant professor, associate professor or professor )
· At least one/half of teaching/research duties normal to the unit (does not apply to unit administrators, librarians, or other university officers who may hold tenured positions in a home unit)
· In at least the twelfth consecutive calendar month of appointment in the unit
· On leave of absence, but in attendance
Definition of Voting Faculty Member for Unit Evaluations (ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix L)
· Full-time faculty position
· Permanently tenured or probationary term
· Employed in faculty position for at least 12 consecutive months
· Regular academic faculty rank
· Carry, at the time of the vote, not less than half the normal teaching/research program as practiced in the unit of appointment (except as noted for faculty on leaves of absence)
Personnel Action Dossier (PAD) (ECU Faculty Manual, Part XII)
used for reappointment, promotion, and permanent tenure contains:
· Written communications with candidate on progress toward tenure
· Complete resume
· External peer reviews
· Teaching, research/creative activity, and service portfolios
· Other material
· Disagreements as to inclusion/removal of documents
Promotion and Tenure Timeline (ECU Faculty Manual, Part XIII)
Revisions to this timeline were approved by the Chancellor in November 2010 and will go into effect in July 2011.
Faculty candidate will be notified in writing within one week at each decision point.