East Carolina University




The first regular meeting of the 2007-2008 Faculty Senate was held on Tuesday, September 11, 2007, in the Mendenhall Student Center, Great Room.


Agenda Item I.  Call to Order

Mark Taggart, Chair of the Faculty called the meeting to order at 2:10 p.m.


Agenda Item II.  Approval of Minutes

The minutes of  April 17, 2007, and April 24, 2007, were approved as distributed.


Agenda Item III.  Special Order of the Day

A. Roll Call

Senators absent were: Professors Lazure (Art and Design), Rider (Education), MacGilvray (Medicine) and Chancellor Ballard.


Alternates present were: Professors Painter for Rastatter (Allied Health Sciences), Ballard for Dosser (Child Development and Family Relations), Hodge for Greene (Education), Alligood for Jesse (Nursing) Gantt for Lowery (Nursing), and Clark for Parker (Theatre and Dance).


B. Announcements

1.         2008-2009 Teaching Grants are due Tuesday, October 2, 2007, in the Faculty Senate office.  Applications are available online at http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/tg/teachinggrants.cfm. Faculty are encouraged to contact John Bort, Committee Chair at bortj@ecu.edu if you have any questions about the granting process.

2.         This is a reminder that East Carolina University's university-wide teaching awards are due September 17, 2007. The deadline for submission of portfolios by nominated faculty members is November 1, 2007. Materials pertinent to creating the portfolio and a reminder of its deadline will be sent to each of the nominees.  The university-wide teaching awards are:

·        Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching (1 award)

·        Board of Governors Distinguished Professor for Teaching Award (6 awards)

·        University Alumni Awards for Outstanding Teaching (3 awards)

·        Max Ray Joyner Award for Faculty Service Through Continuing Education (1 award)


For a description of the guidelines and nominating process, please go online to:

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/aa/academicawards.cfm.  If individuals making nominations or faculty members who have been nominated have any questions about the award categories, please contact Dorothy Clayton in the Center for Faculty Excellence at 328-6470 or claytond@ecu.edu.

3.         The UNC Faculty Assembly will meet on the following days this academic year:  September 28, November 16, January 18, March 7, and May 2.  Please feel free to forward issues to members of the ECU Delegation that you would like to see addressed.  Faculty Assembly Delegates include:

            Mark Taggart (Music), Brenda Killingsworth (Business), John Cope (Psychology), Ken Wilson (Sociology), and Catherine Rigsby (Geology).


4.         David Dosser, Chair of the University Athletics Committee’s Academic Integrity Subcommittee, will report to the Faculty Senate in October.

5.         The ECU chapter of AAUP (American Association of University Professors) will meet on Monday, September 17, 2007, at 3:30 p.m. in a room to be announced later.  Please contact Professor Zach Robinson at robinsonz@ecu.edu with questions.

6.         Announcements related to the Research/ Creative Activity Grants will be circulated in the near future to ECU faculty. Any proposed changes to the guidelines from last year will be considered by the Faculty Senate this Fall. Grant applications will then be available in the Faculty Senate office and online at: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/rg/research.cfm.  Faculty are encouraged to contact Paul Gares, Committee Chair at garesp@ecu.edu if you have any questions about the granting process.

7.         The Chancellor has approved the following resolutions from the April 17, 2007, Faculty Senate meeting:

07-13  Policy on Disruptive Academic Behavior.

07-14  Addition of new Policy on Disruptive Academic Behavior in the official undergraduate catalog.

07-15  Revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI., in reference to parking privileges for retired faculty.

07-16  Curriculum matters contained in the minutes of the April 12, 2007, meeting.


            There are two resolutions from last Spring still pending final approval:

            07-03  Revisions to the ECU Undergraduate Catalog, Section 5. Academic Regulations, relating to Grade Points and Grade Point Average, Grade Replacement Policy, Warning and Probation, and Special Readmission (Forgiveness) Policy.

            07-04  Revisions to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI.I.J. Salary Policies.


8.         Faculty members not located on main campus (Allied Health Sciences, Health and Human Performance, Health Sciences Library, Medicine, and Nursing,) and who serve on various academic standing committees are reminded of special courtesy parking permits available from the office of Parking and Transportation Services.  Special Courtesy Permits allow faculty members attending meetings, etc. to park in "A1/B1” lots on main campus.  These permits are issued to unit heads at no charge and are to be used in conjunction with a paid parking permit. Additional information is available from Parking and Transportation Services at 328-1961.

9.         All Faculty Senate materials (agendas, minutes, announcements) will be distributed via a Faculty Listserv that has been established and used in conjunction with the Microsoft Exchange mail system. Faculty choosing to opt out of the Faculty Listserv will continue to be able to access the materials via the Faculty Senate website.  Paper copies of documents will always be available in the Faculty Senate office (140 Rawl Annex).

10.       Faculty interested in periodically receiving past copies of "The Chronicle of Higher Education" are asked to call the Faculty Senate office at 328-6537 to have their name placed on a distribution list. 

11.       Each spring the Academic Awards Committee issues an official call for nominations for the annual Lifetime and Five-Year University Research/Creative Activity Awards with the goal of giving faculty members time to prepare their materials for the nomination.  All relevant procedures are available online at:

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/customcf/committee/aa/researchspecifics.htm.  The deadline for submission of materials (which includes 7 copies of departmental and unit review committee nominating letters, complete CV, and 3 letters from outside referees) is November 1, 2007.


Evaluation materials submitted by this year’s winners are available for review in the Center for Faculty Excellence (Old Cafeteria, room 2305).  Please feel free to stop by at your convenience to review these materials.  Please also direct any questions to Professor Patricia Dragon, Chair of the Academic Awards Committee at 328-0296 or dragonp@ecu.edu. 


C.        Steve Ballard, Chancellor

Chancellor Ballard was unable to attend the meeting due to the Board of Trustees’ various committee meetings scheduled at the same time.


Vice Chancellor Mageean was asked to make brief announcements for Chancellor Ballard and to provide a short report from the Division of Research and Graduate Studies. VC Mageean reported that the first Annual Report from Division of Research and Graduate Studies is completed and will be posted on the web page.  The report is also available in the Faculty Senate office. It contains a summary of all the elements from the Division including reports from the Office of Sponsored Programs and the Office of Grants and Contracts. Mageean report that faculty start-up funds were characterized by a very wide disbursement to colleges, departments, and units.


D.        Marilyn Sheerer, Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
and Student Life


Interim Provost Sheerer began with a summary of the topics that she was asked to discuss at the faculty senate meeting, including shared governance, faculty involvement in curriculum development, and administrator evaluations.  Sheerer discussed her vision of shared governance and the different perspectives within the university relative to the definition of shared governance that often occurs between the administration and faculty.


Regarding the restructuring of the Divisions of Academic Affairs and Student Life into the Division of Academic and Student Affairs, Sheerer referred to the Chancellor’s experience in this type of academic restructuring, which ultimately targets student success. She explained further that by bringing these two divisions together, there will be increased efforts devoted to student success including increasing retention rates, graduation rates, and examination of grading policy issues.


Interim Provost Sheerer briefly commented on the issue of faculty involvement in curriculum development and stated that ultimately faculty have ownership of the curriculum. Sheerer commented about the SACS visit in 2012-2013 academic year. In preparation for this visit, Professor David Weismiller (Medicine) has been named Chair of the Steering Committee.  It will take the committee five years to prepare for the SACS visit.



Sheerer discussed the current status of the Office of International Affairs and the need to have multiple faculty and staff involved with the evaluation of this program.


The issue of a new Administrator Evaluation tool was introduced by Sheerer. The mandate by the Board of Trustees is to have the administrator evaluation tool completed by November 2007. In addition, Sheerer reported that the Board of Trustees has mandated that administrator evaluation implementation is within the Chancellor’s purview. Sheerer suggested that a task force be formed to redesign the entire process, and that it include Faculty Senate involvement.


Professor Jones (Criminal Justice) inquired about the status of the Impact Committee and whether it has been dissolved.  Sheerer replied that the ECU Impact Committee continues to function especially in reference to alcohol and drug abuse awareness and counseling. Professor Jones replied and recommended that ECU implement an on-line course educating students about alcohol, tobacco, and other drug abuse which should be mandatory for all students. North Carolina State University has on-line mandatory awareness course that is required for all students.


Professor Martinez (Foreign Languages and Literatures), Chair of the Faculty Governance Committee, commented that the committee is aware that the chancellor makes the final decision regarding the administrator evaluation tool; however, faculty must have input and a voice with this process. Professor Martinez reiterated that the ultimate voice of the administrator evaluation rests with the administrators. Provost Sheerer agreed with Professor Martinez relative to the development of the administrator evaluation tool.


Professor Rigsby (Geology, Past Chair of the Faculty) questioned Interim Provost Sheerer about the merger of the two Divisions – Academic Affairs and Student Affairs. She inquired about the existence of a task force, as previously suggested, to investigate this university reorganization.


Provost Sheerer replied that the task force had not been formed; however, the Chancellor intends to form such a group.


Professor Reisch (Business) inquired about the status of child care on campus. Provost Sheerer presented her concerns relative to the lack of child care on campus. Provost Sheerer discussed the Welfare Committee recommendations, commitment of upper level administration, and collaborative approaches to implementing a child care center at ECU.  David Powers has volunteered to take this child care endeavor as a project, which would promote faculty retention and recruitment support.


Professor McKinnon (Interior Design) inquired about the status of Banner.  Interim Provost Sheerer explained that there continue to be challenges with Banner. She remarked that the implementation of Banner with Financial Aid was a disaster. While a delayed drop time was implemented this semester, there are still problems. Judi Bailey and Don Joyner have attended to problems with the new system.


Professor Robinson (Math) inquired about the relationship between the 5 year unit reevaluation and the SACS reaccredidation in 2012. Robinson questioned whether this unit reevaluation is a key element in reference to the SACS reaccredidation. Robinson also asked whether there will be a reimplementation of the rotating unit evaluation. Provost Sheerer replied that she was not aware of any policy changes in the future.


Professor Tovey (English) remarked that she had worked with Michael Poteat regarding internal evaluations, relative to unit assessment


Professor Wilson (Sociology) offered brief comments relating to the merger of the divisions of academic affairs and student affairs and expressed concern that by combining these divisions there may be more emphasis on non-academic student issues.


Interim Provost Sheerer responded to Wilson by commenting about this new academic structure. She stated that the primary role in AA continues to be academics and faculty needs, while student affairs will be overseen by Interim VC of Student Affairs Todd Johnson. She described a new freshman orientation course (review of safety and drug/alcohol). Sheerer then stated that Academic Affairs is not being slighted because of the merger of the two divisions and will not diminish the academic focus of the division.


Professor Sharer (English) inquired as to the current status of the grading policy since the Faculty Senate recommendation last spring. Interim Provost Sheerer replied that Mark Taggart has worked diligently to bring this issue to closure; however, all details have not been worked out and Chancellor Ballard has not acted on this FS recommendation yet.


E.        Terry Holland, Director of Athletics

Mr. Holland was unable to attend the meeting due to the Board of Trustees various committee meetings scheduled at the same time.  He will report to the Faculty Senate in October.


F.         Mark Taggart, Chair of the Faculty

Professor Taggart welcomed all senators to another year of Faculty Senate.  In an effort to promote more effective communication, Taggart described the recent “Head’s Up for Faculty Senate Meeting” e-mail from the Senate office. This monthly communication will provide the faculty senators with important information to assist in preparation for topics of discussion and upcoming votes that may appear in the Faculty Senate agenda.  He thanked Vice Chair Deedee Glascoff for her work in preparing this information. 

Taggart reminded the faculty senators that they had been elected to represent their academic unit and to keep their constituency informed and to share copies of all information distributed at faculty senate meetings.  


Taggart continued by discussing the Evaluation of Administrators Policy. In 2003, Bob Morrison, then Chair of the Faculty, charged the Faculty Governance Committee to review the Evaluation of Administrators Policy and make it a formal part of the ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix L.  The Faculty Governance Committee has been working on this the past eighteen months, and has consulted the following sources:

·        Recommendations from the AAUP

·        Policies in the GA approved peer institutions

·        Policies in UNC-Chapel Hill, NCSU, UNC Greensboro and UNC Charlotte

·        Policies from Research One Institutions, including the SUNY system and Rutgers

·        Relevant Faculty Senate documents

·        Michael Poteat, Director of Institutional Effectiveness, on the history of policies regarding
      evaluation of ECU administrators


In addition, the Governance Committee has responded to Chancellor Ballard’s letter of March 28, 2007, in which he suggested directions that he has in mind to serve as a “reference check” to see if we are heading in the same direction on this policy development.  The criteria that the Chancellor provided include:

·        The value of having multiple inputs from the affected and interested parties

·        Faculty input in the evaluation of administrators is very important, especially where contact is

·        The definition of appropriate faculty evaluators, whether weighted by contact or not, is crucial

·        The evaluations must be centered on the assigned position duties and expectations

·        Anonymous evaluations require very careful and appropriate handling if fairness is to be

·        Confidence votes tell us very little because there is no common basis for the vote or standard
      of interpretation

·        The incorporation of more meaningful and valuable Likert Scale summaries over specific
      performance categories

·        The person to whom the administrator reports is the responsible, controlling and accountable


Taggart acknowledged the hard work of the Faculty Governance Committee to incorporate these criteria and thanked them for their dedication in this effort and and as a result, the document entitled “Comprehensive Faculty Evaluation of Administrators,” was made available for review this summer.


Taggart continued with the report of the FG committee by reviewing the contents of an email dated September 2, 2007, and that the Board of Trustees charged the Chancellor to provide the following: “Please submit to the Board of Trustees no later than November 1, 2007 a written plan for the recruitment, hiring, review and retention of senior leaders and administrators at ECU.  This plan should address, but not be limited to, recruitment, appointment and promotion; performance assessment and compensation.  The BOT is responsible for personnel policies at the university and we believe that a high performing senior leadership team under your direction is critical to assuring ECU’s continued success.”


As a result of this mandate, the Chancellor has asked Interim Provost Sheerer and Vice Chancellors Horns and Mageean to form a task force to advise him on the hiring and evaluation policies.  He has requested that they establish, at a minimum, a web-site so that campus-wide faculty input can be received during the process.


Further, Chancellor Ballard welcomes input from the Faculty Senate on this matter.  He states that, while the work of the Governance Committee can certainly be one input into the process, the evaluation protocols are the responsibility of the Chancellor.


Taggart then instructed the Faculty Governance Committee to continue with their efforts and to move quicker in reporting to the Faculty Senate so that their work can be incorporated into the policy that Chancellor Ballard presents to the Board of Trustees in November.


Taggart concluded his remarks relative to the Evaluation of Administrators Policy by acknowledging collaboration with Drs. Sheerer, Mageean, and Horns for the purpose of the completion of this important mandate given to the Chancellor by the Board of Trustees.


G.        Brenda Killingsworth, Chair of the UNC Faculty Assembly

Professor Killingsworth reviewed proposed changes to the UNC Faculty Assembly Charter.

She discussed the distribution of faculty representatives to the Faculty Assembly and stated that proportional distribution was being lost on the assembly; however, ECU will never lose its representation of five members.


H.         Question Period

Professor Sprague (Physics) inquired about the conflict between the faculty senate and Board of Trustees meeting and asked whether anything could be done about the conflict in scheduling? Professor Taggart replied that the regular time for the BOT meeting is on a Thursday and a Friday, but this year, that regular scheduled day fell on a holiday.


Professor Martinez (Foreign Language) provided comments regarding unit assessment. FG will send an implementation of fixed-term faculty (review of Appendix L). The 5th year evaluation had not been consistently followed through by each unit. She stated that a priority agenda item will address the implementation of the 5th year evaluation and how and when the reports are completed in different units.


Professor Tovey (English) asked VC Mageean about the policy on graduate student travel and reimbursement. Vice Chancellor Mageean discussed the policy regarding travel for graduate students and reimbursement. The policy states that graduate students can obtain travel funding in reference to their jobs, but not for presentations, etc. Mageean stated that Anne Jenkins will be looking into interpretation of this student travel policy relative to state funds reimbursement.


Professor Corbett (Geology) directed a question to Mageean relative to tuition waivers and grants.  Vice Chancellor Mageean replied that policies were being drafted relative to tuition waivers by Associate Deans of Research. Gemperline (Division of Research and Graduate Studies) offered information relative to these new policies. He stated that the National audit agenda of NIH affects certification and graduate student compensation. The Division of Research and Graduate Studies is attempting to get policies straightened out.


Professor Rose (Nursing) commented that there appear to be Admissions problems associated with Banner, especially in admitting students in the middle of year. Vice Chancellor Mageean stated that the efficiency of the staff working with Banner has improved due to continued training.


Professor McKinnon (Interior Design) directed a question to Killingsworth relative to the top priorities of the Faculty Assembly (e.g. Trimester system).  Killingsworth replied that the trimester system is still being considered by the Faculty Assembly and GA. Other issues include shared governance,  a three-year implementation plan to work with CAO’s, administrative review, and university interaction with community colleges to improve articulation across systems.


Professor Sharer (English) directed a question to Mageean relative to the Yardley report, which outlined the need for health insurance for graduate students, particularly doctoral students. Vice Chancellor Mageean responded that the division is investigating day care expenses, and a plan to provide health insurance for doctoral students.  She stated that she may work through the graduate student body on this issue. She stated that she needed to discuss it with Dean Pellicane due to the large number of graduate students at ECU. She continued that faculty may be able to write this into grant applications.


Professor Robinson (Math) questioned recent health benefit changes and who might be able to explain the nature of the changes. Vice Chancellor Horns responded that there is always an annual review of the State health plan, but she was unsure if anyone consulted prior to the changes.  


Professor Wilson (Sociology) asked a general question relative to the policy for pay raises. Provost Sheerer remarked that EPA employees would obtain a 4% raise and 1% would be used for merit and/or market adjustments. 


Professor Killingworth offered further information regarding the Faculty Assembly’s initiatives in working with Community Colleges to balance salaries. She also added that other initiatives of the faculty assembly include distance education and public service of the university (e.g. UNC- Tomorrow).


Professor Zoller (Art) directed a question to Interim Provost Sheerer relative to international travel of graduate students. Provost Sheerer remarked that this is being investigated.


Professor Rigsby (Geology/Pasts Chair of the Faculty) directed a question to Interim Provost Sheerer relating to the merger of the two divisions (Academic Affairs, Student Affairs). Professor Rigsby stated that while it appears to be a good merger, international programs should be part of this division.  She encouraged the Provost to consider faculty responsibility to the curriculum and education policies as the task force is being formed. She asked Sheerer to consider the Faculty Senate and faculty involvement with restructuring of any academic divisions. Provost Sheerer remarked that she will certainly involve the faculty in the task force.


Agenda Item IV.  Unfinished Business

A.        Major Frank Knight

Major Knight remarked that there have been significant physical improvements made to campus over the summer to aid in campus safety. Faculty senators were provided with handouts relative to these improvements.  He stated that there were additional card readers in the Rivers, Flanagan, Belk, and Cardiovascular buildings. There is a new “hit” list for lighting updates on campus. In addition, an emergency communication response team has been formed.  Also, students and faculty will have access to emergency text messaging via a voluntary sign-up service through Banner. In addition, there may be a voice-over web based system to notify students, faculty and staff in the event of a campus emergency situation.  He stated that the ECU police department is hiring more officers and is more aware of vulnerable surroundings. He encouraged the faculty to be the first line of defense by reporting any problem to campus police and the counseling center.


Professor Schenarts (Medicine) asked Major Knight if there will be emergency contact to the Brody School of Medicine, perhaps through the paging system. Major Knight stated that the ECU Police will investigate West campus and that BSOM will be notified in the event of an emergency.


Professor Schenarts (Medicine) asked another question relative to the security of BSOM and stated that further security coverage was needed in the late evening hours through the early morning hours of 5 and 6 a.m. Major Knight stated that security coverage was not yet available for early morning escorts.


Professor Painter (Allied Health) asked for clarification regarding West Campus security (Allied Health and Nursing). Major Knight stated that Allied Health Sciences and Nursing (West Campus) currently has two permanent officers, three officers at night, and 4 - 6 security guards at BSOM.  He stated that those security officers protects BSOM, Allied Health, Nursing, and Health Sciences Library through 4 a.m. He also stated that a student patrol exists for escorts. Future security additions will include escorts to vehicles and security coverage from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m.


Professor Wilson (Sociology) commented that most student concern over safety is from 9 to 9:30 p.m. at night. There appear to be assaults at this time. Professor Knight replied that Safe Ride and security officers are more active in parking lots and around buildings.


Professor Stapleton (Education) stated that one faculty member received a threat last year. She asked Major Knight about an ECU policy to deal with threat. This particular incident concerned a threat to a faculty member from a student. Professor Knight stated that he did not recall case. He stated that if this type of incident occurs that the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities should be involved. He stated that when a threat occurs, certain protocols must be met before action can be taken.  Janice Harris, Chief of ECU Police, stated that in the event of such an incident (threat) the ECU and Greenville police will collectively intervene and investigate.


Professor McKinnon (Interior Design) asked Major Knight about continued concerns with the Rivers building. He asked whether student parking zones could be moved closer to the card readers.  Major Knight remarked that additional funding is needed for card readers, which is currently not available.  


Professor Vail-Smith (Health and Human Performance) asked a question regarding the jurisdiction of ECU police. Major Knight replied that police jurisdiction includes all campus properties; from the Tar River to Greenville Blvd. and Hastings Ford area to Charles Blvd., which involves aid from the Greenville police.


B.        Edson Justiniano, Chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Yardley Research Group Report

Final Draft of the Yardley Group’s Report on the Assessments in Support of Graduate Education and Research


Professor Justiniano was unable to attend this meeting and will prepare a report for the Faculty Senate later in the year.   


Agenda Item V.  Report of Committees

A. Committee on Committees

Professor Tom Caron (Education), Chair of the Committee, presented nominees for one regular and two alternate members to the Appellate Hearing Committee. Professor Linda Mooney (Sociology) term was elected to a 2009 regular term.  Professor Sandy Triebenbacher (Child Development and Family Relations) was elected to a 2008 alternate term.  Professor Cathy Hall (Psychology) was elected to a 2009 alternate term. The full roster is available at: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/fsonline/customcf/rosters/hr.htm.   


B.        Educational Policies and Planning Committee

Professor Dale Knickerbocker (Foreign Languages and Literatures) Chair of the Committee, presented proposed requests to change the School of Nursing and School of Allied Health Sciences designations to Colleges. There was no discussion, and the requests to change the School of Nursing and School of Allied Health Sciences designations to Colleges was approved as presented.  RESOLUTION #07-19. 


C.        Unit Code Screening Committee

Professor David Weismiller (Medicine), a member of the Committee, presented a proposed revision to the School of Medicine’s Unit Code of Operation.  The revision to the Code is the insertion of the words “Cardiovascular Sciences” on page 9, under the heading of Clinical Sciences. There was no discussion, and the proposed revision to the School of Medicine’s Unit Code of Operation was approved as presented.  RESOLUTION #07-20. 


There was no additional business to come before the Faculty Senate at this time.  The meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,


Marianna Walker                                                                               Lori Lee

Secretary of the Faculty                                                                    Administrative Officer

College of Allied Health Sciences                                                  Faculty Senate



Change the School of Nursing and School of Allied Health Sciences designations to

            Disposition:  Chancellor

Revision to the School of Medicine’s Unit Code of Operation.

            Disposition:  Chancellor