EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2000-2001 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Faculty Governance Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Linda Allred, Paul Heartley, James Joyce, Tinsley Yarbrough, Mark Taggert, Henry Ferrell; Ex officio Robert Morrison, Brenda Killingsworth, Worth Worthington, Ben Irons [Kitty Hill], Ralph Scott, Richard Ringiesen [Robert Thompson].
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
August 23  - September 13  - October11  - November 8  - December 13  -
January 10 [  - January 17  - January 31  - February 14  - April 18 
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
Subcommittee on the Pad, submitted January 17.]
Subcommittee of grievance Handbook
Subcommittee on Work Load Policies
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals.
Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
Letter sent to Economics Department regarding interpretation of the Code; letter sent to Allied Health Sciences relating to Unit Code; reaffirmed interpretation as to when the Springs semester ends; added 'voting faculty' to the index of Appendix D; denied that cumulative evaluations may serve as the final evaluation for tenure; recommended that faculty in each unit should democratically decide what constitutes a half teaching load; Agreed that the FACULTY MANUAL interpretation #100-13 provided adequate guidelines on EPA voting with administrative appointment; accepted the report form for determining faculty load; required that the letter of appointment determines the teaching load of administrators who are half time faculty.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
Resolutions: #00-30; 00-3;1 #01-10; #01-11; #01-12;.#01-19,
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
Determine role of faculty in transfer of fixed term faculty to tenure track; grievance handbook, visit by trustee to discuss faculty role in dean selection.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. The committee successfully functioned this year.
B. Personnel: The personnel were excellent.
C. Attendance: Members attended faithfully.
D. Responsibilities: Clearly defined
E. Activities: Dedicated.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the
effectiveness of the committee.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date
Chairperson: Henry Ferrell