EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2001-2002 Academic Year
Faculty Governance Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
· Regular: Mary Glascoff (chair), Jim Joyce (vice-chair), Mark Taggart (secretary),
Linda Allred,Marti Engelke, Paul Hartley Tinsley Yarbrough.
· Ex-Officio: Kitty Hill, Bob Thompson, Phyllis Horns, Bob Morrison, Bruce Albright.
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
· September 12, 2001: Allred, Engelke, Glascoff, Hartley, Joyce, Taggart, Yarbrough.
· October 10, 2001: Allred, Engelke,Glascoff, Hartley, Joyce, Taggart, Yarbrough.
· November 14, 2001: Yarbrough, Hartley, Glascoff, Joyce, Engelke.
· January 9, 2002: Glascoff, Engelke, Hartley, Joyce, Taggart, Yarbrough.
· February 13, 2002: Glascoff, Hartley, Yarbrough, Joyce, Taggart
· April 4, 2002: Allred, Hartley, Taggart, Yarbrough
· April 11, 2002: Joyce, Engelke, Hartley, Taggart, Yarbrough
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
· Task force, created by the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, to develop a “meaningful” evaluative process for unit administrators. Their proposal was approved in the April 11 meeting.
· Subcommittee, to explore the need to create formal guidelines for the appointment, reappointment and tenure of faculty members whose responsibilities are shared by more than one code unit. The subcommittee made their report at the January 9 meeting.
· Subcommitte, to examine proposed ECU Copyright policy. The subcommittee’s proposed changes were approved n the April 4 meeting.
· Subcommittees, to be formed over the summer, to examine the business carried over from 2001-02. This motion was approved in the April 11 meeting.
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
All of the committee’s accomplishments ended in reports to the Faculty Senate (please refer to #5, below).
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
· January 29, 2002:
1. Proposed revisions to ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI., Section VIII. Frequently Asked Questions About Faculty Personnel Records
2. Proposed addition to ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix D., Section II. Faculty Appointments.
3. Proposed revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix D., Section IV., A.3.b. Composition of Personnel Committee.
Proposed revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix D., Section IV., A.3.b. Composition of Personnel Committee.
1. Proposed Revision to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI. Section VIII. Frequently Asked Questions About Faculty Personnel Records.
2. Proposed Revised Appendix I. ECU Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment for the ECU Faculty Manual.
1. Proposed Revised Appendix I. ECU Policy on Conflicts of Interest and Commitment for the ECU Faculty Manual.
2. Proposed Revisions to the ECU Faculty Manual, Part VII. Research Information, Subsection II.G. Copyright Procedures.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
· Revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Part V. Subsection I.N. Posting Grades
· Revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Part V. Subsection I.M. Orientation of Courses.
· Revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix L. Section F. Quadrennial Unit Administrator Evaluation .
· Review ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix A. Section V. Organization of the Faculty Senate .
· Review ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix A. Section VII. Officers of the Faculty and Faculty Senate .
· Determine the role of faculty in converting fixed-term positions to tenure-track positions and consider proposed revision to ECU Faculty Manual, Part VI. Subsection I.A. Appointment.
· Review process used for interpretations of the ECU Faculty Manual and consider including current interpretations in the actual text of the manual.
· Review ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix D. Section IV. Procedures for Initiation, Review and Approval of Appointments, Reappointments, Promotions and the Conferral of Permanent Tenure.
o Description of “voting faculty”.
o Rank of initial faculty appointments
· Review ECU Faculty Manual, Appendix D. Subection IV.G. Initiation of Recommendations.
· Report from the Subcommittee on the Proposed Patriot Act Compliance Policy that will be placed in the ECU Faculty Manual.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the
committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Our charge is clear and appropriate.
B. Personnel: A dedicated group of members, marvelously assisted by Lori Lee with
solid guidance by the Chair of the Faculty.
C. Attendance: Good, inevitable conflicts and illnesses necessitated some innovative
D. Responsibilities: This committee handled its many responsibilities with aplomb.
E. Activities: Although the committee dealt with much that was on its plate, numerous
items may need to be addressed via subcommittees this summer.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
No significant suggestions; perhaps an extra scheduled meeting in the spring to help with the management of paperwork.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? NO, however, at the suggestion of the Chair of the Faculty, the committee will have to meet as subcommittees in order to get a jump on the business carried over from last year.
Chairperson: Dee Dee Glascoff
(Health and Human Performance)
Secretary: Mark Taggart (Music)