EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2001-2002 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Faculty Welfare
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Beth Winstead (chair)
Tracy Carpenter-Aeby (vice-chair)
Charles Grant (secretary)
Marieke Van Willigen
Gary Lowe (Rep of Chancellor)
Stewart Mixon (Rep. Of Interim VC for Academic Affairs)
John Core (Rep. Of Interim VC for Health Sciences)
Elias Katsoulis (Rep. Of Chair of Faculty)
Bob Nida (Faculty Senator)
Michael Aho (Rep. Of Student Government Association)
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
9/13/01 present: John Bradley, Tracy Carpenter-Aeby, Michael Felts, Chuck Grant, Beth Winstead, Gary Lowe (ex-officio), Bob Thompson (ex-officio), Elias Katsoulis (ex-officio), Bob Morrison (guest), Phyllis Hornes (guest)
10/11/01 present: Tracy Carpenter-Aeby, Michael Felts, Chuck Grant, Parm Hawk, Beth Winstead, Gary Lowe (ex-officio), Stewart Mixon (ex-officio), Bob Thompson (ex-officio), Art Gordon (for Sadie Cox), Bob Morrison (guest), Lori Lee (guest)
11/08/01 present:Tracy Carpenter-Aeby, Michael Felts, Beth Winstead, Gary Lowe (ex-officio), Stewart Mixon (ex-officio), John Core (ex-officio), Michael Aho (ex-officio)
12/13/01 meeting cancelled in advance due to lack of quorum
1/10/02 present: John Bradley, Tracy Carpenter-Aeby, Michael Felts, Chuck Grant, Marieke Van Willigen, Beth Winstead, Gary Lowe (ex-officio), Stewart Mixon (ex-officio), Lori Lee (guest)
2/7/02 meeting not held due to lack of quorum
3/7/02 present: Tracy Carpenter-Aeby, Michael Felts, Chuck Grant, Marieke Van Willigen, Beth Winstead, Gary Lowe (ex-officio), Stewart Mixon (ex-officio), Bob Morrison (ex-officio)
4/11/02 meeting not held due to lack of quorum
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
Health Insurance Resolution - subcommittee was established to write resolution
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
Campus Day Care - An assessment team is in place and working on this issue.
Faculty Dining Club - A task group is in place and working on this issue.
Health Insurance - The Committee drafted a resolution for Faculty Senate. There is a great deal of concern as to the impact this is having on recruitment and retention.
Lecturer's salaries - The Committee investigated lecturer's salaries in relation to SPA salaries and prepared a memo to the Chair of the Faculty.
Merit Raises - At the request of the Chair of the Faculty, the Committee reviewed merit raise procedures by department. A report was presented at the April Faculty Senate meeting.
Spousal employment and career support for spouses - In response to a memo from the Chair of the Faculty on this issue, the committee responded via a memo with the discussion from last years committee.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
Health Insurance Resolution #02-24
Approved by Faculty Senate: April 23, 2002
Therefore, be it resolved, that the Faculty Senate Welfare Committee recommends that East Carolina University investigate changes in coverage to reflect fair, equitable, and affordable family health care coverage; Be it further resolved, that the Faculty Welfare Committee recommends that East Carolina University develop and implement strategies to improve faculty health care benefits and that the Chancellor’s office educate the Board of Trustees and legislators about the impact that the lack of competitive health care benefits has on recruiting and retaining quality faculty.
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
1. Sabbatical/Research leave
2. Health Insurance issues
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
C. Attendance: This committee has again by hindered by lack of attendance. Some consideration may need to be given to a different time.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? X no
Chairperson: Beth Winstead Secretary: Charles Grant