UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE
2003-2004 Academic Year
1. Membership: Regular members — Marianna
Walker, Ed Wall, Ann Schreier,
Harrell Allen (Fall semester), Susan DelVecchio (Spring Semester),
Jonathan Wacker (Fall
Semester), Dori Finley (Spring Semester), Kevin Gross
Semester), and Thomas Douglass.
Ex officio members - Carroll Varner, Dorothy
Spencer, Henry Ferrell, and Ian
2. Meeting Dates:
September 22, 2003 -- Carroll Varner, Marianna
Walker, Henry Ferrell, Dorothy
Spencer, Thomas Douglass, Salman Abdulai, and Ann Schreier.
October 15, 2003 -- Ann Schreier, Salman
Abdulali, Jonathan Wacker,
Ed Wall, Dorothy
Spencer, and Henry Ferrell.
November 19, 2003 -- Salman
Abdulai, Ann Schreier, Marianna Walker, Ed Wall
Thomas Douglass, Carroll Varner, Dorothy Spencer, and
January 21,2004 — Salman Abdulai, Ann Schreier, Marianna Walker, Ed Wall, Thomas
Douglass, Don Finley, Carroll Varner, Dorothy Spencer, and Henry Ferrell
February 18, 2004 -- Salman Abdulali,
Ann Schreier, Marianna Walker, Ed Wall,
Thomas Douglass, Dori Finley, Susan DelVecchio, Kevin Gross, Dorothy Spencer, and
April 21, 2004 -- Susan DelVecchio,
Kevin Gross, Henry Ferrell, Salman Abdulali, Ed
Wall, Marianna Walker, Ann
Schreier, and Jeff Coghill for Dorothy Spencer.
3. Subcommittees established during the
4. Accomplishments during the year,
especially as addressed through committee goals.
• Support for the acquisition and personnel budgets was obtained
from University Budgets Committee.
• Continued Progress was made on the SFX system and the
cross-searching capabilities of Joyner and HSL libraries.
• Senate Libraries Committee’s quality functioning allowed for
disbandment of HSL faculty advisory committee.
• Continued improvement was made in libraries liaisons.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate: None
6. Business carried over to next year
(listed in priority order).
• Consider options for improving access to scholarly publications
in light of escalation of cost of journal acquisitions both on-line and in hard
• Continue to discuss ECU Libraries and faculty use of open access
• Review libraries’ budgets.
• Report on results of libraries’ evaluation
• Monitor status of ILL (interlibrary loan) pilot for Allied
Health and Nursing.
of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee’s
work during the year).
A. Charge: No issues; Charge met.
David Durant’s report was particularly helpful report on issues of scholarly
access and open access journals; other libraries personnel were helpful in
This year’s attendance was very good.
E. Activities: Material from David Durant’s report on
Scholarship and open access journals was added to Faculty Senate’s Website.
to the Chair of The Faculty and/or Faculty effectiveness of the committee. None.
the Committee’s organizational meeting next year date set this year? No
If yes, when do you prefer: