EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2002-2003 Academic Year
COMMITTEE: Student Academic Appellate Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Bruce Albright Janice Lewis
Tom Durham Janice Neil
Frances Eason Iona Poston
Matthew Hassey Michael Schinasi
Mark L’Esperance Jonathan Wacker
Elizabeth Layman George Williams
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
· and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
9-4-02: Durham, Albright, Hassey, Layman, Lewis, Neil, Schinasi, Williams
10-2-02: Durham, Albright, Eason, Hassey, Layman, Lewis, Neil, Poston, Wacker
11-6-02: Durham, Eason, Hassey, Layman, Lewis, Neil, Poston, Schianasi, Wacker, Williams
12-4-02: Durham, Albright, Hassey, Layman, Lewis, Williams
1-3-03: Durham, Albright, Hassey, L’Esperance, Layman, Lewis, Neil, Schinasi, Wacker, Williams
2-5-03: Durham, Hassey, Layman, Lewis, Schinasi, Williams
4-2-03: Durham, Eason, Hassey, L’Esperance, Layman, Lewis, Neil, Poston, Williams
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work). None
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
Reviewed charge from Faculty Senate.
Became familiar with University policies and procedures relevant to the committee’s areas of responsibilities.
Heard and decided appeals in a timely fashion. Denied one financial aid appeal, 14 late course drop appeals, 3 retroactive drop appeals, 1 request for reinstatement of drops, 2 grade replacement appeals, 4 4D appeals, 2 forgiveness appeals, 43 readmission appeals, and 32 late readmission appeals. Granted 2 late course drop appeals, 1 retroactive drop appeal, 2 grade replacement appeals, 2 4D appeals, 1 financial aid appeal, 6 readmission appeals, and 12 late readmission appeals.
Monitored Faculty Senate action on changes to the grade replacement policy recommended by the committee the previous semester. Clarified how the new policy would be applied to pending cases and to already-completed courses.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
None. However, the current committee will hear readmission appeals in August and will deal with any appeals that arise over the summer as we plan to have regular meetings over the summer as needed in addition to the readmission appeals to be heard in August.
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Met charge
B. Personnel: Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Registrar provided active participation and assistance
C. Attendance: Good attendance by faculty and student representatives
D. Responsibilities: Excellent; combined student appellate committee continued to work effectively and efficiently.
E. Activities: Heard and decided reviews in a timely and fair manner.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee. None
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year? _______ yes ____x______no
If yes, when do you prefer:_____________________________________
Signed: Chairperson: Tom Durham ________________________________
Secretary: Janice Lewis ___________________________________