EAST CAROLINA UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
ACADEMIC, APPELLATE, AND SENATE COMMITTEE
2002-2003 Academic Year
Unit Code Screening Committee
1. Membership (include ex-officio members).
Garris Conner (Vice Chair), Bryna Coonin (replacement for Richard Pozzuto who resigned April 2003), William Grossnickle (ex officio with vote), Linda Ingalls (ex officio with vote), Greg Lapicki, Jen-Jar Lin, Ken MacLeod, Melissa Nasea (ex officio with vote) Richard Pozzuto (replaced by Bryna Coonin, April 2003), Ralph Scott (Chair), Kyle Summers (Secretary), Kitty Wetherington (ex officio with vote), Tinsley Yarbrough (ex officio with vote)
2. Meeting Dates (include members present*).
* and members who contributed to committee action, but were not at the meeting.
August 28, 2002 Conner, Grossnickle, Ingalls, Lapicki, Nasea, Scott, Summers, Wetherington
September 18, 2002 Conner, Grossnickle, Ingalls, Lapicki, Lin, MacLeod, Nasea, Pozutto, Scott, Summers, Wetherington, Yarbrough
October, 16, 2002, Conner,Grossnickle, Ingalls, Lin, Lapicki, Nasea, Summers, Scott, Wetherington, Yarbrough
November, 20, 2002, Conner, Ingalls, Lapicki, MacLeod, Nasea, Pozzuto, Summers, Scott, Wetherington, Yarbrough
February, 12, 2003, Grossnickle, Lapicki, Lin, MacLeod, Nasea, Summers, Scott, Wetherington, Yarbrough,
March 12, 2003, Conner, Grossnickle, Ingalls, Lapicki, Lin, MacLeod, Nasea, Scott, Summers, Wetherington, Yarbrough
April 17, 2003, Conner, Grossnickle, Lapicki, Lin, Nasea, Scott, Summers, Wetherington, Yarbrough
May 1, 2003, Coonin, Ingalls, Lin, Scott, Summers, Wetherington, Yarbrough
May 29, 2003, Coonin, Ingalls (temp. notetaker), Lapicki, Lin, Nasea, Scott, Summers, Wetherington, Yarbrough
June 26, 2003, Conner, Coonin, Grossnickle, Lapicki, Lin, Nasea (temp. notetaker), Scott, Wetherington, Yarbrough
3. Subcommittees established during the year (include progress and/or completion of work).
Subcommittee to review the General Guidelines for Writing and Revising a Unit Code of Operation, Members: Nasea, Ingalls, Conner ; completed October, 2002
4. Accomplishments during the year, especially as addressed through committee goals. Please include recommendations made to any University agency other than the Faculty Senate that will be noted under #5.
5. Reports to the Faculty Senate (include dates and resolution numbers).
October, 2002 School of Allied Health Sciences - Resolution #02-33,
November, 2002,School of Human Environmental Sciences - Resolution #02-37
March, 2003,Department of Physics - Resolution #03-20
April, 2003, College of Business - Resolution #03-35
6. Business carried over to next year (list in priority order).
Submission to Faculty Senate of the Codes of: Department of Chemistry, College of Education, Laupus Library
Review of the Academic Library Services Code (suggested revisions pending 6/28/03)
Addition to Guidelines of the requirement of a submission deadline of March 1st for Codes to the Committee.
New Guidelines to Faculty Senate
7. Evaluation of the committee (include anything that hindered or assisted the committee's work during the year).
A. Charge: Satisfactory
B. Personnel: Outstanding
C. Attendance: Satisfactory for some members, Unsatisfactory for other members
D. Responsibilities: High importance for shared governance
E. Activities: Excellent, Committee conducted in-depth review of a number of unit codes.
8. Suggestion(s) to the Chair of the Faculty and/or Faculty Senate for improving the effectiveness of the committee.
Some members need to be more regular in attendance.
9. Does the Committee’s organizational meeting next year need to be earlier than the date set this year?
Chairperson: Ralph Scott