MANUAL OF BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THESES AND DISSERTATIONS
Page numbers should be placed in the upper right-hand corner, not less than 1/2 inch from the upper edge and directly on the established right margin. Both Arabic and lowercase Roman numerals are used according to the system described below.
All pages from the title page to the first page of the body of the thesis or dissertation are prefatory; therefore, they should receive lowercase Roman numeral pagination (i, ii, iii). The title page and signature page together count as the first page of the prefatory material. However, even though they count as a page, no page number appears. The acknowledgment page, if used, and the table of contents page or pages are the next prefatory pages to be counted, but these pages also will not receive pagination.
A thesis or dissertation including all items available would be paginated as follows:
- Abstract – no pagination
- Title page - no pagination
- Signature page - no pagination
- Acknowledgement/Dedication – no pagination
- Table of contents pages - no pagination
- List of Tables/Figures/Symbols – no pagination
- First page of chapter - no pagination
- Second page of chapter - page number 2
- First page of references – no pagination
- Second page of references – page number 79 (use accordingly)
- First page of appendix – no pagination
- Second page of appendix – page number 99 (use accordingly)
Arabic numerals (1,2,3) are used to paginate the body, supplementary sections, appendices, and bibliography. The first page of the body is counted as the first page, but no number appears. The second page of the body does receive the page number 2. Thereafter, all pages to the end are counted as Arabic page numbers, and all pages receive a number except the first page of each chapter, the first page of each supplementary section, such as the references, and the first page of the appendices.